Is "to disappear someone" now acceptable English?

Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:38 pm GMT
***a construction often heard in the UK in recent years: "I've been sat here for hours", meaning "I've been sitting here for hours"***

That is very much an English English thing I reckon.....and I believe a Northern one, i.e. the North of England. I know I heard it used when I was at uni in Leeds, in West Yorkshire, and the local people said things like: "What are you doing sat sitting there on your own?" I also heard people say: "I was stood standing there in the cold!" We don't use those constructions in Scotland...I think they sound quite comical. I also believe that over on the other side of the Pennines, in Lancashire, they tend to say things twice over, seperated by the words "I say" such as: "I was at work early this morning, I say, early this morning!" "It's a lovely day today, I say, a lovely day!" That's even more comical, but it seems only older people do it so it may be a generational thing.

In TV soapland the old butcher bloke Fred Elliott in Coronation Street seems to do this weird repetion thing all the time. "Would you like some of our best quality lamb chump chops, I say, best quality lamb chump chops?"

I think it's all really funny, I say, reall funny.....I think I'll start us all doing it here in Scotland, I say, doing it all here in Scotland....
Damian   Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:41 pm GMT
seperated =separated! A genuine typo soz! That word is supposed to be one of the most mis-spelt words in the English Langauge.
M56   Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:57 pm GMT
<as has, for example a construction often heard in the UK in recent years: "I've been sat here for hours", meaning "I've been sitting here for hours".>

What's incorrect about that? I'm a statue, the art gallery director sat me here hours ago and then went away.

;-)
This is 2 M56   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:33 pm GMT
Context, dude. It's all in da context. I mean, how many talking staues do you know? If you do know some, I'd love to meet them, I bet they've seen some stuff that would make 4 good gossip.
M56   Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:32 pm GMT
<I mean, how many talking staues do you know? >

What's a "staue"?
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:51 pm GMT
The talking statue on Art Attack on CITV was funny.

Yeah Damian we do tend to do that round here sometimes. I think the whole "sat sitting" thing is because we see sitting as a seperate activity in it's own right, like simply relaxing or people watching. So its the same as saying "im sat here people watching" or what ever. That is a possible reason. We are a funny bunch. I don't understand some of the things we say.
M56   Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:44 am GMT
<Context, dude. It's all in da context.. >

Old Granny sprained her ankle the other day. Family took her to hospital, the emergency unit. After waiting an hour they all slid off to get a cuppa, leaving poor Gran sitting in the waiting room. An hour and half later still, the family had still not returned. Another patient arrived and sat next to Gran in the waiting room. The patient asked Gran if she had been waiting long and Gran replied that she had been sat there for almost three hours.

Passive: She had been sat there by her son, Tod.

;-)
Tommie   Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:41 am GMT
How about this?

"He sat the vase by the window, and it then sat there for years."
Alicia   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:24 pm GMT
My Chemistry teacher in fourth form was a barmy chap from somewhere in Southern England. Every day, he'd start class with...

"All up and about again? As diligent, conscientious, self-motivated Chem students, you should all be SAT in your seats by now!"
Hermione   Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:03 am GMT
>"It is ungrammatical slang"
It's not nowadays if it's considered a normal transitive verb by Webster:

It's endorsement by Webster is the least reason I can think of to consider it correct.
j   Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:15 am GMT
Hermione:
"It's endorsement by Webster is the least reason I can think of to consider it correct."
Interesting point. But why? Please, explain.
Kirk   Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:20 am GMT
<<It's endorsement by Webster is the least reason I can think of to consider it correct.>>

If it's used by native speakers there should be no reason to call it "incorrect." Webster points to usage, not prescription.
Uriel   Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:57 am GMT
<<It's endorsement by Webster is the least reason I can think of to consider it correct.>>

j, you have to understand that there is a somewhat silly rivalry between dialects. Webster's is an American dictionary. So Hermione is sniffing over what she probably considers our "inferior" usages.
j   Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:13 am GMT
Sure I understand. I've already read a lot like Hermione's here, so just wanted her to speak her mind. My bad...
Jim C, York   Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:05 pm GMT
To be honest im slightly confused as to what the "SAT" discussion is about?