A Latin "Esperanto"

Viri Amaoro   Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:19 am GMT
Does anyone here know any details about all those projects to build a simplified neolatin language, such as Interlingua, Lingua Franca Nova, Romanica, Románico and Romanova?
I've read a little about some of them but never could past the fact that these languages "look" so easy that one can never have the trouble of actually learning them.
When I read a text in Interlingua I can understand at least 95% of it. Instinctively I say think to myself: "I already know this language!"
The small detail is that if I open my mouth not a single word of Interlingua will come out of it.
Javi   Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:25 pm GMT
You're right, when I read langauges such as those, I can understand them and never bother to learn them. And because of that, I cannot speak or write a word of interlingua (knowingly) or Nova Lingua Franca.

The same happens with portuguese with me.
The only words I know how to actually speak in portuguese are those that end in "tion" in English (Like administration, organization, discution) because they all end in çao in Portuguese.
Viri Amaoro   Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:25 pm GMT
There are other with no equivalent in English, like coração (heart), natação (swimming) or even malhação (brazilian portuguese for "pumping iron").
Viri Amaoro   Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:37 pm GMT
Actually malhação would translate better as "work out", pumping iron would be something like "malhar ferro".