questions

Boy   Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:43 am GMT
Hi,

1. What's the difference between a "temp" and a "substitute"?

2. I really pushed the buttons -- does it mean crossing/breaking all limits of something?

3. What does "leg up" mean?

4. What does "melt it" mean? I knew the meaning of "belt it? it means that you have answered something correctly. Jack black, an actor, had spoken above expressions. But I was unable to search "melt it".

thanks for your help.
Uriel   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:05 pm GMT
A temp (temporary employee) is usually hired for a specified amount of time (a week, a month, etc.). A substitute (as in substitute teacher) is often hired only for the day, or a couple of days.

To push someone's buttons is to figure out what really pisses them off and then do it.

To get a leg up is to get help, to get a boost, to gain an advantage. Picture a person helping another one over a wall.

Melt it isn't one I'm immediately familiar with, but if Jack Black said it, I bet it meant burn it, or tear it up -- in the colloquial, not literal senses.
Boy   Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:31 am GMT
Uriel, Thanks a lot. You are such a big help. Yes. He said it cause I also saw it written on the screen. I know he uses a lot of informal words. I didn't figure one more word which he said in his another movie "shallow Hal".

"I am funked out."

Does it mean I am tired?
Uriel   Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:27 pm GMT
Um, give me some context, please. It's not a standard phrase, but I bet it makes perfect sense if you hear it in context.
Boy   Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:45 pm GMT
lol... that was the whole context I heard in the movie. :) His friend asked him to go out for a lunch and then he said the above expression showing emotions of unwillingness on his face. I bet it has something to do with being tired or sad. What do you think?
Uriel   Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:20 pm GMT
Sounds plausible.
Boy   Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:50 am GMT
Uriel... just out of curiosity.. did you watch a film "a beautiful mind?" what were your impressions on it?