Madonna

abc   Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:33 am GMT
Why is Mary refered to by that Italian name sometimes?
Presley.   Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:06 am GMT
Madonna means "My Lady" in Italian. (Ma Donna)

Mary was the mother of Jesus Christ, and as a Catholic influence, many countries refer to Mary as "My/Our Lady".

For example, Notre Dame is French for Our Lady.

I'm assuming that the Italians just went ahead with adopting Madonna as a name for Mary.

(I wonder what Mary is in an Italian bible.)
Rudolph   Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:48 am GMT
For new visitors:

Why are here informations of my sound descriptions?

Are these people faking me and copying my messages to represent me?

I'm going to post this to let any intruder know who I am. I'm closer to them but they're not from me.

I hate fake threads.
Presley.   Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:57 am GMT
What is Rudolph talking about??
Guest   Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:16 am GMT
<< (I wonder what Mary is in an Italian bible.) >>

She's referred to as Maria or Maria, madre di Gesù.
abc   Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:02 am GMT
Presley,
Thanks, Ma Donna
&#348;ton&#309;et   Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:49 pm GMT
In french sometimes you may hear the word "madonne" to describe some picture or statue of Mary. You can even listen to someone saying about a woman who seems to suffer "elle a un visage de madonne", it's like saying "she looks like Mary with Jesus in her arms (after the crucifixion)".
I remember famous picture of an algerian woman during the civil war in Algeria in the 1990's, a woman who'd just lost her son slain by the terrorists and many people had named her "the algerian madonna".
Shtonjhetilisto   Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:50 pm GMT
that's my name which could not appear due to the diacritics
Uriel   Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:54 pm GMT
<<I'm assuming that the Italians just went ahead with adopting Madonna as a name for Mary. >>

Madonna is more like a title; Maria is the actual name.
Guest   Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:12 pm GMT
The term "Madonna" for Mary, Mary of God dates back to the 16th-17th century, and applied to her image in works of art (paintings, scultures, etc.). Formerly, it was simply the Italian term of address equivalent to OF "madame" -- both stemming from Latin "mea domina" -- but has since been replaced with "signora".
Uriel   Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:16 pm GMT
it's like saying "she looks like Mary with Jesus in her arms (after the crucifixion)".
I remember famous picture of an algerian woman during the civil war in Algeria in the 1990's, a woman who'd just lost her son slain by the terrorists and many people had named her "the algerian madonna".

Sounds more like a Pieta scene. I tend to associate "madonna" more with the "madonna and child" genre of painting, and the mourning scenes to the pieta genre.
Uriel   Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:18 pm GMT
Guest   Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:24 pm GMT
<<Mary, Mary of God>>

Oops! Mary, *Mother* of God