Listening & Speaking ENGLISH-an ISSUE with many VIETNAME

Le Vinh Nghi   Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:55 am GMT
Hi, everyone (^_^)!
Actually, my subject is "Listening & Speaking ENGLISH-an ISSUE with me and many VIETNAMESE students"
I am a 13 year old boy living in My Tho city, Vietnam and I hope one day I'll work in a foreign company so my speaking and listening English must be very good. I practise listening by many form, but I think I make little progress, I would like tips on how I can improve my English listening skills.
Any advices or ideas for me? How can you improve your listening skills? How can a student see that improvement? Any tips, suggestions or comments? Please, share your experiences with me and many Vietnamese students. If you did so, I'd be very glad. Thanks.

Secondly, someone told me that firstly my speaking must be good then my listening would be good.
I think my speaking is not bad. But sometimes I got into trouble. For example: May be you've listened to the song IF LIFE IS SO SHORT. That song souds very exciting but I can hardly to understand it, however, I hear very clearly the refrain: /I:f Laif Iso sho:/ (If life is so short). You see, I didn't hear the word "t" in the word "short" although I hear it very clearly and many times. May be my listening was not good at that time but when I speak, I pronouce very clearly the word "t" or "k" or "v" or ...etc (Such as the word "CAT";"LIKE" or "LIVE").
For example: "Would you like to have a cup of tea?" Or "Don't do anything stupid like that!" or "whatever you do, your cold will last for a few days..."...etc
then after listening to me my friends and many people said that my pronouciation was Interrupted in each word they mean I don’t speak well, fast although I try speaking very cleary. How can I speak the word "t", "k", "v"... correctly and faster? Why can English or American speak fast and correctly but I can't? Please, help me and I will send my thanks to you.
I think I have a lot of Grammar mistakes in this passage . Please help me by showing the mistakes I've got.
I've been learning English for 2 years in my country where is very poor and the class is very uncomfortable. My English isn't good but I think Life is long with me and I'll try to study English more untill my English is good.
Thank you very much!
Benjamin   Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:44 am GMT
If you've only been learning English for two years then I'm very impressed — well done!

I often don't pronounce some of the sounds on the ends of words. If I were speaking quickly, I might pronounce your sentences like this:

"Would you like to have a cup of tea?"
— '"Wouh d'ya lie t'have a cuppa tea?"

"Don't do anything stupid like that!"
— "Don' do anything stupi lie tha!"

So it isn't really necessary to pronounce every sound in every word if it's difficult when you're speaking quickly. There aren't really any rules for this, so it's probably best to try and pronounce everything properly to begin.

I should say that I'm English and I'm a native speaker.
Guest   Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:45 am GMT
Read more short story books and look up unknown words during your reading. Reading should be your wife without her your life is incomplete. Once you become a voracious reader who devours each book one after another then you mind is filled with lot of inputs then listening and speaking wouldn't be too much problem for you to handle as you would have known many words and phrases through your reading. With practice your listening and speaking skills will take a leapfrog. So reading is the cornerstone of learning a new language. Stop speaking and writing for a while. Just do reading and listning activities for a long period of time theen move on further down the road. Perhaps set a goal of one year just for doing reading and reading activities on a daily basis. Afterwards, you will see that you will have no problems in expressing your thoughts either in written or spoken form. Be patient. Good results will come eventually.
Le Vinh Nghi   Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:47 am GMT
Thank you very much Benjamin. I love English very much. They're all kind.
Le Vinh Nghi   Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:08 am GMT
Thank you Guest. You see my writting is not very good. Your advice is very useful and I always remember it. I didn't care whether my writting is good or bad because many Vietnam students study English (English is a second language in shool) and they seem to be dump and deaf English persons. I mean many students study writting very good but their listening skill and speaking skill are very bad.
Le Vinh Nghi   Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:09 am GMT
Anyway, thank you very much.
Le Vinh Nghi   Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:13 am GMT
Another question:
My tho, where I was born, is one of the poorest city in Song Cuu Long Delta and there are few foreigners here. So I can hardly to meet a foreigner to practise and improve My English. But when I went to HCMcity to visit my uncle, I meet a lot of foreigners. They're all kind but I felt shy and talk to them very unnactive. That's also a problem with many Vietnamese students when they talk with the foreigner. So how can you talk when the first time you meet the tourist or the foreigner? Do they think we annoy them?. Please share your experiences with me and a lot of Vietnam student.
lu   Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:19 am GMT
Just don't ask them private questions and it'll be ok.
American.   Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:53 am GMT
Le Vinh Nghi,

I would like to tell you that your writing is excellent for a student who has been learning English for only two years.

You are correct. There were many grammar mistakes, but you did an awesome job. I understood everything you wrote. You will definitely soon be able to speak, understand, read and write perfectly like a native speaker.

I want to tell you about speaking with foreigners. English-speaking tourists love when students speak to them in English. You have lots of courage to write to us in English. You will have no problem making yourself understood, so be confident when you talk to them. You don't need to be ashamed to make mistakes. Not everything needs to be completely perfect when you are speaking. Even though your grammer when you wrote was not perfect, I was able to understand everything, so you will be fine if you speak.

Probably the biggest fear you need to overcome is the fear of sounding stupid to the native English speaker. You will not sound stupid. They will be very impressed with you.

Also, it is fine to speak slowly. Speak as slowly as you need to pronounce everything. They will probably reply at the same speed, so you will be able to understand what they say. If they reply quickly, do not be afraid to ask them to slow down.

You do not need to worry about speaking quickly. If you practice reading a book out loud and pronouncing the way you learned, you will definitely become faster. Just be patient!!

If you continue to practice speaking, you will become perfect. Just don't become too satisfied with what you do. If you are constantly thinking that you are still learning and knowing that it isn't perfect, before you know it, you will become perfect. Just be patient!!
Le Vinh Nghi   Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:28 pm GMT
Thanks a lot, American. You're very kind.
We're FRIENDS.