What to do when forgetting a girl's name?

lu   Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:31 am GMT
"Addressing someone as "lady" is rude. "

I never know it's rude, what's the reason??
Lensley Sirclaire   Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:34 am GMT
<I don't know that it's negative, but (outside of the prostitution ring) it's just not used anymore. Ma'am would be the modern version,>

Dear me Uriel would you mind telling me your 'line' of work? LOL

I asked my daughter how she felt if I called her 'madam' or 'ma'am' she simply replied 'Mummy I ain't that old!'
Uriel   Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:35 am GMT
It's just one of those things. It's not that there is anything about the meaning of the word itself that is offensive, but usually the tone and attitude of a person saying "Hey, lady!" or "Look, lady..." IS, and so that association has tainted the whole form of address.
Lensley Sirclaire   Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:39 am GMT
<he meaning of the word itself that is offensive, but usually the tone and attitude of a person saying "Hey, lady!" or "Look, lady...">

Another example is saying "Hey Ms/Miss!" or "Missy"
Uriel   Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:44 am GMT
Well, Lensley, I AM up all night with my work ... but no, I'm not running whores. Should I ever decide to diversify into that market, though, I'll be sure to give you a call. ;)

I wouldn't find "Hey, Miss" offensive in the least -- in fact it's quite common -- but "Missy" would definitely take me back to being scolded by my mother!
lu   Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:48 am GMT
hmmmmmm
Can we find a universally polite word to address a woman then??
Uriel   Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:54 am GMT
Oh, I don't know if there's just one. A lot will depend on things like age, location, relationship to the woman in question, etc. I don't know if there's just one appropriate word to address men with, either.
lu   Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:55 am GMT
About men.
Will it be ok to just call them "sir"?
Uriel   Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:02 am GMT
Again, there are times when you wouldn't. It can imply a power relationship. You wouldn't hear two twenty-year-old guys at a party calling each other "sir" just because they'd forgotten each other's names!
Chris   Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:13 pm GMT
>> Will it be ok to just call them "sir"? <<

No, it would imply that you think they are old, and that either you don't know their name, or you don't remember it or don't want to take the effort to learn it. It's also used in power relationships: older, and/or higher status use it to call younger and/or younger status people, when they wish to be formal, and show distance from the person they are addressing, to dissasociate themselves from speaking directly from someone they believe to be socially inferior. Clerks sometimes use it to show their contempt at their customers too. For males, "dude" is best to use, because it sounds flattering, and makes the other person know that you respect them and think they are cool. It also doesn't necessarily show that you forgot their name, because it just shows that you think that they are cool. For example, if I called my grandfather "dude", he would not think I had forgotten his name, but rather that I thought he was really cool. But if I called him "sir" or something else, he wouldn't be very happy, because it would make him feel old, and like I was trying to insult him.
Sarosh in Pakistan   Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:28 pm GMT
Hi,
It's as simple as ABC, you can call them using Ms/Miss or Mr if you have forgotten their names. The word, either of them, itself indicates that you have forgotten the name, so they will tell you his/her name because it tells them you don't remember the name.

e.g.
A: so, you don't believe in.
B: Actually, Ms... there's no hard and fast rule......................
Sarosh Khan
shaq   Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:29 pm GMT
that sounds perfect i want to be called dude. lol
Uriel   Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:53 pm GMT
I don't know that "dude" is really the best option for every situation. That's just my two cents....
Guest   Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:10 pm GMT
People who overuse the word "dude" are often laughed at... Frequently, "dude" is used to express disagreement as well. For example...

Person A: That movie was so cool!
Person B: Dude! No, it wasn't.
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:14 am GMT
Doesn't "Dude" mean Camel's foreskin.