best english speakers

Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:10 pm GMT
***I agree that the best English speaker are the Dutch***

After meeting a Dutch lady assistant in a store in Amsterdam I have to agree with that. She gave me the information I required in perfect English, so much so that I asked her whereabouts in England she hailed from. With a broad and very charming smile she said she'd never been to the UK in her life but enjoyed watching British TV (which can easily be picked up in the Netherlands as Amsterdam is closer to Great Yarmouth than Great Yarmouth is to Birmingham.

The Dutch just have to be the best linguists in Europe. And the worst? Us lot - the British. Indubitably so, sadly. Unlike ASBOS we don't regard that as badge of honour.
Guest   Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:15 pm GMT
>> The Dutch just have to be the best linguists in Europe. And the worst? Us lot - the British. <<

You're still a lot better than Americans. Lionel in "As Time Goes By" does a good French accent.
Kabayan   Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:36 am GMT
In my place, a Dutch can be accepted as a native speaker teacher in an english course along with American, British, Canadian, Australian, and New Zealander. The funny is that South Africans can not be accepted.
Damian in Scotland EU   Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:37 am GMT
***You're still a lot better than Americans. Lionel in "As Time Goes By" does a good French accent***

I was talking strictly in a European context. Don't tell me there's a world outside of Europe? Surely not. Is there? Awa' wi' ye! :-)
Ms Myint Myint   Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:41 am GMT
Dear Teacher,

I'm very glad to surf your website. I'm Myint Myint from Myanmar. I want to improve my English. English is second language in our country. World famous people from our country are Mr. U Thant who worked in UNICEFF as a Head and Aung San Su Kyi who is strike for Democracy in present.
Now I'm working in Brunei as a Horticulturist. Sometime I have to report my boss about my research & experiment. Then I often attend the meeting & discussion. I would like to promote my position.

So I want to learn more English speaking & writting.

Thank you for your information about English.

I hope you will accept to me.

Myint ( Myint2k6@gmail.com )
Ilyana   Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:20 am GMT
Hi,

I come across this interesing web site whilst looking for a web that giving me an opportunity to improve my English Language.

Actually, I'm working with an International company that require me to communicate and using English frequently.I need to talk with people from other countries and of course I have to use English which I think I'm not really good at.

Hope to learn more.

ilyana@tm.com.my
NAMNAM   Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:36 am GMT
FILIPINO ENGLISH IS SWEET
Guest   Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:02 pm GMT
No doubt about this: I am the best english speaker in Europe!!!! LOL LOL LOL!!!!

Ciao a tutti, un saluto veloce dalla piĆ¹ bella isola d'europa a tutti voi, cittadini del mondo!!!!
BYE!!!
Adam   Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:01 pm GMT
Scotland, Wales and Ireland.
Guest   Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:38 am GMT
>>The Dutch just have to be the best linguists in Europe. And the worst? Us lot - the British. Indubitably so, sadly. Unlike ASBOS we don't regard that as badge of honour<<

Just because they learn English from watching TV from childhood doesn't really make them great linguists, does it? Are they particularly better than any other nation at learning any other language that they have not been exposed to through television? Is it amazing that they speak English reasonably well if they have been exposed to it since childhood on TV? I reckon if I had been watching Dutch TV since I was a small kid in Dutch with English subtitles I would be pretty good at Dutch by now even if I'd never been there. Doubt it would make me any better at picking up, say, French for example, than anyone else from any other country though.

And I remember correcting a Dutch person's German in a uni class, even though they were supposed to be far better at that language than us Brits too.
rj   Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:50 pm GMT
The Filipinos speak english well. We're gramatically correct and comprehensible. We dont have American accent but our accent is neutral. In fact, we're the top choice for offshore services (call centers).
Andy   Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:36 pm GMT
I work in an office with Czechs, Poles, Dutch, Germans, Frogs and an Argie. On the whole the dutch in our office speak the best English.
Andy   Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:38 pm GMT
Whoops, I forgot the Belgians... but hey doesn't everybody?.
Guest   Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:48 pm GMT
Andy, What about people from Sweden?
blondie   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:53 pm GMT
From my experience, Dutch and Scandinavians(Norwegians, Swedes, Danes and Finns) speak English best among non-native English speakers.

Germans(esp. younger generations) speak English quite decent as well.
French people generally speak English with their strong French accent.
Italians, Russians and other Eastern Europeans speak English poor though.

Japanese speak English really awful.