sic.

abc   Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:53 pm GMT
what does it mean/stand for?
Chris   Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:11 pm GMT
That you're quoting something that you know to be incorrect.
Uriel   Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:32 pm GMT
It's Latin, and it means something like "as is". Meaning, as Chris said, that you're you're including an original quote in its entirety -- misspellings, inaccuracies, and all. Generally you will put (sic) right after the mistake itself to point out that it was the fault of the original source, not just a typo on your part.
abc   Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:56 pm GMT
thnx
sarosh@mail.vu   Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:05 pm GMT
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary says:

sic adverb, verb
adverb (from Latin) written after a word that you have copied from somewhere, to show that you know that the word is wrongly spelled or wrong in some other way:

In the letter to parents it said: 'The school is proud of it's [sic] record of excellence'.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
verb (-cc-) [VN] (AmE, informal) to attack sb:

Sic him, Duke! (= said to a dog)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
PHRASALVERBS
sic sth on sb (informal) to tell a dog to attack sb

Sarosh Khan in Pakistan
Stan   Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:33 am GMT
<< what does it mean/stand for? >>

abc, if you are going to be asking absurd and nonsensical questions, I do not have a problem with it, as long as you consult your dictionary before venturing into such senseless inquiry; and maybe you could spare everyone your balderdash.
abc   Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:46 am GMT
"abc, if you are going to be asking absurd and nonsensical questions, I do not have a problem with it, "

Stan, baby, do you really think that I wake up everyday in the morning and concern myself about what you like and what you dislike?
btw there's no comma after "I dont have a problem with it" if you wanted to be that strict about consulting primary English sources.
Also, maybe you should try to be as useful as the other guys are in this forum; "and maybe you could spare everyone else your bladerdash" in that way. Alright?
abc   Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:35 am GMT
I'm still awaiting a response Stan.
Guest   Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:35 am GMT
"I'm still awaiting a response Stan."

I think Stan has better things to do, so save yourself the trouble and time.