British Language? we don't have one!

Jim C, Eofforwic   Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:44 pm GMT
You call them Neds?
Guest   Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:44 pm GMT
>>The Trainspotting DVD does contain subtitles, probably as a result of public demand from outside Scotland.<<

Surprisingly, I didn't have trouble with the Scottish accents in Trainspotting. Well... except for Spud's. But that was because he was jacked up on speed for the entire film
greg   Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:37 pm GMT
Tiens, tiens... Ça me rappelle quelqu'un...
lu   Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:55 am GMT
Interesting image of stewie.
Anyone know what kind of accent that baby's is?
Jim C, Eofforwic   Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:25 am GMT
RP, I suppose. Sometimes sounds like an American trying to put an RP accent on, generaly well done though, and funny aswell!
Damian in Dun Eidann   Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:39 pm GMT
Jim in Eboracum: aye...your chavs are the same as our neds....I know you dinnae have the right sound system on your puter but here is a bloke describing the typical ned....he was recorded at the Carnegie Leisure Centre across the water there in Dunfermline, Fife. He's speaking in broad Scots so be warned ;-) Mentioned are white tracksuit, white trainers, medallions, gold jewellery, cap at 45degree angle...and a bottle of voddie..och sorry...tonic....all available "doon the local market"...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/individual/scotland-dunfermline-wordie-peter.shtml
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:49 pm GMT
Jim: translation but I reckon you'd hae got most of it sorted

**PETER: A ned would be depicted as eh, well frum top te bawtum, with a cap at an angle of 45 degrees, with a white tracksuit with big gold jewellery, a big necklace..eh..white trainers, with their socks tucked over their..eh..tracksuit bawtums, (chatter) aye a bottle a tonic (laughter) big eh gold dollar signs or sumthin, big medallions, aye..aye like Ali G like, like one o these rappers, except there's is 2.99 fae the barras eh, (laughter) Kinross market**

Kinross market is great...you get your hands on jist aboot anything over there if ye want tae be a true ned....not for me though...I make do with one wee lip stud (labret). oh...and the voddie bit now and again...
Jim C, Eofforwic   Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:16 pm GMT
Was explaining Chavs (we call them Dings in York, and Charvers used to be the general term, before the popular southern term) to a Candadian fella last night, it basicly wen't a bit like that, but I reckon your neds hang around in "packs" outside of MacDonalds like ours, which should have been mentioned. I think sci-fi writers in the 60's wern't imagining this when they were thinking of jump suits etc.

Other words of Chavs include, Hartlepool Chore, Kappa Slappa, Scallie, Cliffton Ding, Charver....list goes on
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:33 pm GMT
Hey has Kappa Slappa got anything to do with Happy Slapping? I reckon not but it came to mind the second I saw it in your post. Neds and chavs are pretty harmless, but not the Happy Slapper lot as they film their stuff on their mobiles. So naistie. That started among the black guys and as far as I know Happy Slapping isn't an issue in this city. Neds are everywhere though, not only outside Macdonalds.

Scally is a Scouser term mostly isn't it? They're not neds though...just wee laidrons. (rascals).
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:39 pm GMT
Hey has Kappa Slappa got anything to do with Happy Slapping? I reckon not but it came to mind the second I saw it in your post. Neds and chavs are pretty harmless, but not the Happy Slapper lot as they film their stuff on their mobiles. So naistie. That started among the black guys and as far as I know Happy Slapping isn't an issue in this city. Neds are everywhere though, not only outside Macdonalds.

I've no idea what they were thinking in the 60s.... looked like it was a wacky decade though.

Scally is a Scouser term mostly isn't it? They're not neds though...just wee laidrons. (rascals).
Jim C, York   Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:25 pm GMT
Scally is used around the north to describe chavs, maybe different meaning in Liverpool. Scallywag is fairly common all over I think.
Kappa Slapper was used before Happy Slapping, its a late 90's term. It's shame all these different terms have been taken over by Chav. I suppose we would have used the word Tyke round here, if it wasn't a term of endearment now.

I was under the impression Happy Slapping started in schools, among all sorts.
You have more "goths" in Edinburgh than we do I found when I visited. There was a big pack of them up the top of Fleshmarket acting like idiots.

Oh yeah and the reason charvers tuck their trousers into their socks is because they shite themselves when being chased by the police, they don't wan't to leave a trail.
Guest   Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:11 am GMT
funny ringtones
Liz   Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:51 am GMT
Kappa Slappers are only women, aren't they?

As far as I'm aware, they are called so because they like wearing Kappa tracksuits and they are promiscuous (slapper?).

The Kappa Company is red with anger (just like Burberry). Them scallies gained them a bad rep, innit? :-)))

But if they took the funny side, it's a good campaign. Shouldn't you know these brands (which I consider almost impossible), you'll get to know them. You don't have to waste money on fashion shows, scallies/chavs/neds (as you like it) work for free!!!

And youngsters will buy loads of these products. The more louts wear these brands, the more likely they are to become the latest fashion.