This is for those who love British Accent... Let's all learn

Chippy   Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:09 am GMT
PS I know its Ireland and not Island.. bit of a typo there.
Yeah its incredible how ignorant some people are. I am British and when I lived in the US people thought I was south african and my mate who came from Nottingham got accused of being Norwegian!! Also I was asked if we spoke French in England!!! I had to point out that English is called English because it is the language of England! AND when I said I was from London I was asked if I knew a family called the Godwins as they lived in London too, even though London has more people than the whole state I was living in! (rant over)
Clarie   Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:17 am GMT
Oh my, I suppose you were appalled. That is exactly the reason why I have little patience for insipid individuals.

Clarie <3
Chippy   Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:21 pm GMT
Well it was more that I couldn't believe it more than appalled. I had a great time in the US and loved the area I was living in and the people were really friendly. I just couldn't believe the insularity of the place.

And this used to make me laugh, why on Earth do americans believe Brits have bad teeth?! I saw no difference and never noticed it back home. Must be one of those cutural myths
Space   Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:23 pm GMT
17CR   Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:08 pm GMT
"I had to point out that English is called English because it is the language of England!"

English is called English because it was originally the language of the English and not because it is the language of England.

Most native English speakers don't even live in England.
Chippy   Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:32 pm GMT
Wow that is pernickity, so what country do the English come from then? I am not saying that everyone should speak British English but its not difficult to figure out what language people speak in England.
17CS   Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:56 pm GMT
"[It's] not difficult to figure out what language people speak in England."

There I would agree with you.

However, the English language has long since transcended its geographic and ethnic origins. So it no longer belongs exclusively to either England or the English.
Chippy   Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:04 pm GMT
LOL thanks for picking up on my mistake, when I write again I will make sure I obey all punctuation and gramatical rules. You really are a fusspot aren't you?

Regarding your second point I agree and I didn't say anything of the sort anyway.

Cheers me old mucker (This is more interesting than work!)
Chippy   Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:07 pm GMT
PS. I know I spelled 'grammatical' incorrectly.
17CE   Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:25 pm GMT
"You really are a fusspot aren't you?"

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across that way. There's a jingoistic English poster here known and loved by all (ha ha!) called "Adam." If you've read any of his postings, you'll probably understand my knee-jerk response better!

"This is more interesting than work!"

There I would agree with you again!
Chippy   Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:05 pm GMT
No worries.
I try not to be jingoistic. Over here I find myself sticking up for America when people have a pop and they don't really know what they are talking about and usually haven't even been there. I look forward to reading Adams musings!
Chippy   Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:06 pm GMT
[Adam's] ;-)
Fernando   Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:21 pm GMT
Oh my...
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:13 am GMT
****why on Earth do americans believe Brits have bad teeth?***

Just a pure urban myth......the Americans maintain that all Brits have bad teeth, and the Brits maintain that all Americans are as thick a s**t. Both are complete and utter bollocks. I have 32 perfect evenly formed teeth in tip top condition and so do all my mates as far as I can see or tell. And I know that many Americans can beat the crap out of many Brits when it comes to intellect and mental agility. General geographical knowledge and awareness of anything outside of their own national borders though can be regarded as a matter of opinion, but even that can work both ways.
Carl   Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:20 am GMT