Using -ing.

lou   Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:40 am GMT
Why can't we say "I am owning a house." in English?
Kirk   Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:36 am GMT
I think it would be because if you own a house it's a permanent event. Usage of the "-ing" form as you wrote above implies it's a current ongoing event that theoretically could end at any time. So, the "-ing" is appropriate for "I am eating" or "I'm going to the store" but for your example it needs to be "I own a house."
lou   Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:40 am GMT
<I think it would be because if you own a house it's a permanent event. Usage of the "-ing" form as you wrote above implies it's a current ongoing event that theoretically could end at any time. So, the "-ing" is appropriate for "I am eating" or "I'm going to the store" but for your example it needs to be "I own a house.">

But I can say this "everyone owning a house was present", can't I?

What's the difference?
sarosh@mail.vu   Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:48 am GMT
'own' is one of a nonprogressive verbs (stative verb), they are not used in any of the progressive tenses. These verbs describe states (i.e., conditions that exist); they don not describe activites that are in progress.

We can't say 'I am owning a house.' but
'I am going to own a house.'

Sarosh Khan
Pakistan
Tommie   Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:03 pm GMT
<'own' is one of a nonprogressive verbs (stative verb), they are not used in any of the progressive tenses. These verbs describe states (i.e., conditions that exist); they don not describe activites that are in progress.>

I see. So this is incorrect?

"everyone owning a house was present"
JakubikF   Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:19 pm GMT
It might be "everyone who owned a house was present." too, I suppose. Then you lose the problem with form -ing.
"like" is similar to "own" - you can't "liking".
Kirk   Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:40 pm GMT
<<But I can say this "everyone owning a house was present", can't I?

What's the difference?>>

Yes. However, in that example the "owning" is really a different form grammatically, despite the fact that both use "-ing." In that example "-ing" is not the present progressive but a modifier functioning as a relative clause would, which is what JakubikF pointed out. Thus, "everyong owning a house was present" could also be "everyone who owned a house was present" but you cannot say "I am owning a house" for "I own a house."

Another example of a different grammatical form with "-ing" is with gerunds, which are of course nouns rather than verbs despite the fact that they use "-ing" in English. Some examples:

"Running is fun!"
"I don't like cleaning the kitchen"
"Owning your own home is cheaper than renting in the long run"
M56   Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:51 pm GMT
Exactly, Kirk.
Tommie   Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:52 pm GMT
<Yes. However, in that example the "owning" is really a different form grammatically, despite the fact that both use "-ing." In that example "-ing" is not the present progressive but a modifier functioning as a relative clause would, >

Ok. It's good use then. Thanks.
Travis   Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:00 pm GMT
>>I think it would be because if you own a house it's a permanent event. Usage of the "-ing" form as you wrote above implies it's a current ongoing event that theoretically could end at any time. So, the "-ing" is appropriate for "I am eating" or "I'm going to the store" but for your example it needs to be "I own a house."<<

The thing, though, is that it seems that at least here there really is no restriction against "I am owning a house" even if it is not something you would normally write. To me at least, there almost seems to be a slight difference in meaning between "I own a house" and "I am owning a house", with the former having connotations of being more permanent in nature and the latter having connotations of referring to a potentially changeable present state. And while I myself would probably not be likely to actually say "I am owning a house" itself, I could quite conceivably say things along the lines of "I am currently owning a house" myself.
Sorina   Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:25 pm GMT
Hello..
I'm an Englsih teacher and I've heard the other day that one of my collegues, English teacher ,too told to her students that they have to use the form "useing" instead of "using" because that first one is the one and only form accepted in English grammar.....

I can't find any explanation about this error..! Would you be so kind to tell me which one is correct and why?..(I know the rule with the "e" in the end of the verb.......)
Guest   Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:13 am GMT
'Using' is the correct spelling, so I don't know where she got that from.

>>"like" is similar to "own" - you can't "liking"<<

This is starting to creep in though, at least in the UK. You might hear something like

'I'm really liking this song'

It kind of implies that there's something new that you realise you like right at this monet as opposed to something you like in general i.e. 'I like swimming'. It is a very new thing though and seen as quite slangy, not something you would write.

The same is true of 'love'. Maybe McDonalds started it all with the slogan 'I'm loving it'.
Guest   Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:15 am GMT
>>monet<<

Should be 'moment'.
Milton   Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:57 pm GMT
we use the word -ING form for both gerund and present participle.
The gerund and present participle were different forms in past (the one was -ing, and the other was -en that eventually suffered a changed to -ing), and they still are, syntactically, but morphologically they are the same now: -ING form is the correct therm.
Milton   Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:01 pm GMT
we use the word -ING form for both gerund and present participle.
The gerund and present participle were different forms in past (one was -ing, and the other was -en that eventually suffered a change to -ing), and they still are, syntactically, but morphologically they are the same now: -ING form is the correct therm.