why do all want to learn English?

Guest   Sat May 06, 2006 11:45 am GMT
Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder.
Adam   Sat May 06, 2006 11:46 am GMT
"English is what it is today is because of brutal english colonization. "

Yeah? And if it wasn't for brutal French colonisation then that language wouldn't even be in the Top 10. Even after the French Empire, the language is only the 10th most spoken in the world.
Adam   Sat May 06, 2006 11:47 am GMT
"Why is chinese ugly, how dare you insult 5000 years of chinese history and literature! "

How dare the eprson who started this fprum insult 1000 years of English history and literature.

As for Human Rights, I think it's quite wrong to be comparing England to China.
-   Sat May 06, 2006 1:54 pm GMT
Dont forget how the english invaded China and massacred the chinese people and how chinese were regarded as second class citizens in their own cities dominated by caucasians! Some even put up signs like: "No dogs and chinese allowed!"

Look at the musuems in Britain, many chinese treasures looted by the english are still there! They refuse to return them to China!

The english wiped out most of the Indian population in America and and aborignals in Australia! Either you wipe out the native population or you use all their natural resources and make yourselves rich! What happened when the Japanese invaded Asia? You just fled for your lives leaving the natives to fend for themsleves. After the Japanese surrended because of the Americans, you came back to reclaim your colonies!
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Sat May 06, 2006 2:20 pm GMT
Adam, yes I've seen Finnish before, me and my Danish mate were having a laugh about it, counting 1 to 10 sounds very funny ;) not wanting to offend any Fins out there.

"Dont forget how the english invaded China and massacred the chinese people and how chinese were regarded as second class citizens in their own cities dominated by caucasians! Some even put up signs like: "No dogs and chinese allowed!"

Look at the musuems in Britain, many chinese treasures looted by the english are still there! They refuse to return them to China!"

Yeah we hold our hands up for all that, massacre though? I'm not aware of that, but I could be wrong.

"The english wiped out most of the Indian population in America and and aborignals in Australia! Either you wipe out the native population or you use all their natural resources and make yourselves rich! What happened when the Japanese invaded Asia? You just fled for your lives leaving the natives to fend for themsleves. After the Japanese surrended because of the Americans, you came back to reclaim your colonies!"

As far as Native American populations, there is a vast gulf between how Native Americans were treated in British parts of Canada, and their treatment in what is now known as the USA. Not to say that treatment was brilliant in Canada, forcing Inuit tribes to move to settlements caused massive famine. And also in Australia, the treatment of the Aboriginal people has been disgusting, you only have to see the film Rabbit Proof Fence to get a tiny sample of what was going on, only recently.

To blame all this on the English is hardly fair. After all it was the *British* Empire, Scottish companies made money out of it too, and Scottish, Welsh, Irish people were involved. Other European countries were up to this as well.

"What happened when the Japanese invaded Asia? You just fled for your lives leaving the natives to fend for themsleves. After the Japanese surrended because of the Americans, you came back to reclaim your colonies! "

Well I find that very offencive, British men defended the colonies, and paid the price for it. The stories ive heard of what happend to British POW by the Japanese would make your hair curl, not just hearsay stories, stories from relatives of those who were there (those who were actualy there tend only to tell the story once, to family, seemingly). And just about every one knows the general story of what went on.
But forgive and forget, as my Grandad said.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Sat May 06, 2006 3:58 pm GMT
few spelling mistakes in there, and colonies should be "colonies"
-   Sat May 06, 2006 5:51 pm GMT
i agree that the British defended their colonies.
Isnt the english suppressing or suppressed the welsh?
Guest   Sat May 06, 2006 6:03 pm GMT
Why with the politics.
Adam   Sun May 07, 2006 10:37 am GMT
"Dont forget how the english invaded China and massacred the chinese people and how chinese were regarded as second class citizens in their own cities dominated by caucasians! Some even put up signs like: "No dogs and chinese allowed!" "

The Chinese are pretty good at murdering their own people.

China is the country that executes more of its people each year than the rest of the world combined. China is the country where you can be executed for making peaceful demonstrations. China is the country where, in the mid-20th Century, people used to eat newborn babies and where they used to trade foetuses for consumption. China is the country that rules Tibet, and where Tibetans are often incarcerated for peacefully expressing their political and religious beliefs. Conditions in prisons are reported to be dismal, with numerous accounts of torture and ill-treatment. China is the country where it is socially acceptable, in many places, for a man to beat his wife. China is the country where practices like female infanticide, concealment of female births and abandonment of female infants are common, as many people don't like having female children.

So, comparing England to China on the issue of Human Rights is a bit silly.
Adam   Sun May 07, 2006 10:39 am GMT
"Isnt the english suppressing or suppressed the welsh?"

No. It actually the exact opposite. It's the Celts - the Welsh, Scots and Northern irish - who are oppressing the English.
Guest   Sun May 07, 2006 11:31 am GMT
How?
lu   Sun May 07, 2006 11:55 am GMT
Who started the human rights stuff??
Does the language itself have anything to do with human rights???
The human rights in China is ruined by its dictatorial goverment. Most Chinese are just ordinary people like the Britons who try to make a living and live a happy life.

Besides, only a really really few bunch of people in South China eat dead fetus, and about those wife-beating, female infanticide things, which is very rare nowadays, they're all caused by the lack of education like the cannibalism exisiting in some faraway tribes. With more and more Chinese get a better education those things will eventually vanish.

AND, Adam, don't you think it's an dishonored thing to do sitting there mocking people who receive less education than you?? Many western people volunteered to go to China's rural countries to educate those less fortunate because they have realized the truth, why can't you at least have some sympathies and try to understand them??

Also, Chinese language may not be beautiful but certainly not ugly either.
Guest   Sun May 07, 2006 12:09 pm GMT
"AND, Adam, don't you think it's an dishonored thing to do sitting there mocking people who receive less education than you??"

Now, now, now! I haven't seen an example of this hare. You can't just state facts like that without backing them up.
Guest   Sun May 07, 2006 12:24 pm GMT
hare=here. (thats for Adam, just in case he got confused)
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Sun May 07, 2006 12:40 pm GMT
Hahaha.

Adam, the Northern Irish are hardly oppressing us. They have had their govornment before, so constitutionaly their system does not affect us. Wales is in a similar situation to England, but is better off with their assembly, I think they should get the same powers as Scotland though.
The reason England will not get devolution is because Tony Blair etc. see that as taking their powers away, they essentialy become a glorified Foreign Office. The system of assemblys allow them keep more powers, the only place I believe that this system will work is Yorkshire, other areas are going to be groups of countys which is hardly fair, for example Cornwall will be governed from all they way from Bath and rural areas will be eclipsed by urban areas needs. They also will have to compete with other assemblys and against Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland to be heard over National and International matters, economicly Yorkshire would eclipse other assemblys (having a similer economy to the Rep. Ireland) so the postcode lottery that is our country will have a larger gulf between each area. My only problem with an English Parlement is if it was in Westminster, to me that is exactly the same as we have now. So I really don't know what system is best, ide like a Yorkshire assembly, but an English Parlememnt seems to be the fairest system for the whole of the country.

As for Scotland, the majority of Scots support England getting a parlement, and even more Welsh support it. Don't blame the people, blame Blair and those Scottish MPs who have no concept of democracy.