How mistaken English has ebcome the norm.

Adam   Mon May 01, 2006 6:44 pm GMT
The Scotsman.

How mistaken English has become norm
JONATHAN LESSWARE

CENTURIES-OLD words and phrases in the English language are at risk of being changed forever due to misspelling on the internet and television, according to dictionary experts.

Lexicographers compiling the Oxford English Corpus - a billion-word database of how English is written and spoken - have come up with a dozen popular phrases which, more often than not, are written or spoken incorrectly.

They include the saying "strait-laced" which is misspelled as "straight-laced" 85 per cent of the time. The word strait means narrow and the phrase was originally used to describe a tightly laced corset.

Another common mistake is changing the correct spelling of "free rein" to "free reign". The original refers to letting a horse go loose, but many assume it refers to royalty.

The word-bank, compiled by Oxford Dictionaries, also records the phrase "just desserts", which is used 58 per cent of the time, instead of the correct spelling, "just deserts".

The Corpus is compiled from monitoring books, TV, radio, newspapers, online sites and "blogs". The researchers believe the errors are partly due to the internet, where wrong spellings appear unchecked, with blogs (weblogs) the biggest culprits.

They found 59 per cent of all written examples of "fount of knowledge" were written incorrectly as "font".

The Oxford English Dictionaries' lexicographer Catherine Soanes said: "Our Corpus has around 150 million words from the web and the way words are written often has to do with familiarity.

"For instance, 35 per cent of people say "a shoe-in" when actually it should be "a shoo-in".

"We have to accept spelling is not fixed and can change over the years. You only have to look back 100 years when the word rhyme was spelled 'rime'. But we adopted 'rhyme' because it is more like the Greek word from which it originally came."

A play on words
THESE are the most commonly misspelled words and phrases - with the correct then incorrect versions:

Strait-laced; straight-laced.
Fount of knowledge; font of knowledge.
Just deserts; just desserts.
Buck naked; butt naked.
Chaise longue; chaise lounge.
Free rein; free reign.

Bated breath; baited breath.
A shoo-in; a shoe-in.
To home in on; to hone in on.
Fazed by; phased by.
Sleight of hand; slight of hand

scotsman.com
greg   Mon May 01, 2006 6:51 pm GMT
Adam : « ebcome ».

Mon pauvre vieux !
Rick Johnson   Mon May 01, 2006 9:59 pm GMT
Most of those appeared on a thread here the other day.

I don't think theres much reason to worry about spellings- they are hardly fixed. I had an argument the other day with someone the other day after he complained about American spellings- most of which I was able to point him in the direction of 17th Century British texts for precedents.

There are also a whole load of British spellings changed to the US spellings around WWI. Here are a few:

gaol- jail
syren-siren
cyder-cider
cypher-cipher
alarum-alarm
burthen- burden
asphalte- asphalt
forme- form
toilette- toilet
judgement- judgment (both used)
acknowlegement- acknowledgment (both used)
nett- net
barytone- baritone
advertize- advertise
surprize- surprise (I think this might surprise a lot of people)
kilogramme- kilogram (I think both are used tho' I prefer the latter)
connexion- connection
reflexion- reflection

"tyre", however, seems to have remained in its original form!
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon May 01, 2006 10:27 pm GMT
***How mistaken English has ebcome the norm***

Poor Amad! Another one of his failnigs is releaved.....dyslexia.

Let's be kind though......look where his latest cuttie pastie jobbie comes from......The Scotsman! Give him his due he has guid taste.....now and again.
eito(jpn)   Mon May 01, 2006 11:05 pm GMT
>>***How mistaken English has ebcome the norm***

Poor Amad! Another one of his failnigs is releaved.....dyslexia. <<

It's just that your typing speed is too fast to be careful! Unless some spelling mistakes ar intentional.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon May 01, 2006 11:09 pm GMT
Precisely
position   Wed May 03, 2006 6:16 am GMT
<<I had an argument the other day with someone the other day >>

You've run away with "the other day".
Guest   Wed May 03, 2006 12:45 pm GMT
Bring back the other day!

Stop thief!
Thijs Kuiken   Thu May 04, 2006 10:21 am GMT
Eito, you state the obvious. Me de mite kudasai.