a salutary lesson

dawn   Wed May 10, 2006 11:34 pm GMT
This site says avoid mistakes (it's the ideal) but it's normal to make more than one especially when you use English as a forign language and you learn from it. What is the biggist (or funniest) one you've ever made?
Jim   Thu May 11, 2006 12:04 am GMT
Once I said (in Japanese) "hentai" (sexually perverse) for "taihen" (difficult).
Guest   Thu May 11, 2006 12:34 am GMT
I'm "interesting" in having sex rather than "interested".
Benny   Thu May 11, 2006 12:14 pm GMT
In a german essay I got the I and E switched around and said "I learned to shit at cadets" instead of "I learned to shoot at cadets."
speaking!   Thu May 11, 2006 12:20 pm GMT
Germans just want to shoot everyone. Just kidding!
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu May 11, 2006 5:31 pm GMT
I had a lovely great grandmother who died a wee while back and one day she said to me "I hope you meet a nice young lady someday - you mustn't be a spinster". I tried hard not to laugh too much.....not only because of her inappropriate use of a word which I'd never heard anybody use before anyway. Poor wee soul.....it would have been pointless putting her in the picture....it would only have confused her even more as she already had given up on the "state of the world today".
Fredrik from Norway   Thu May 11, 2006 5:43 pm GMT
"I hope you meet a nice young lad(y) someday -"
Just drop the y, and granny sounds up-to-date!
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu May 11, 2006 6:34 pm GMT
Aye....you're right, Fredrik!....denying that would be just as pointless. You know...I must be stupid....that hadn't occurred to me.......the "y" dropping thing I mean...one up for you! :-)
Mr and Mrs Confused   Thu May 11, 2006 6:53 pm GMT
We are confused. Does dropping "y" from "lady" mean Damian is a gay? We always thought that he was a lady's killer afterall he had possessed such a great sense of humour that every girl or boy of this world would envy to have.