Ferrer, English or Spanish?

Tirant   Wed May 24, 2006 3:39 pm GMT
Catalonia is now divided between Spain and France. So, you can find Ferrer in these two countries. The corresponding french of Ferrer is Ferrier, Ferrero italian, Ferreiro portuguese.

Languages and names go over borders between States. I'm from Majorca and in our island Ferrer is very common.
Adam   Wed May 24, 2006 5:32 pm GMT
Catalonia also have a rugby league team who play in the English Super League (our rugby league equivalent of football Premiership).

It is their first season in the Super League and they are called Catalans Dragons.

I saw them on TV at the weekend when they beat Widnes Vikings in the Challenge Cup.
Ping Pong   Wed May 24, 2006 8:26 pm GMT
Thanks to Tirant for your good response. Now I know some aspects of this last name.
Ping Pong   Wed May 24, 2006 8:38 pm GMT
Thanks to Tirant for your good response. Now I know some aspects of this last name.

Are Ferrer's British?
greg   Thu May 25, 2006 8:18 am GMT
Origine autochtone : <Ferradou>, <Ferragu>, <Ferragut>, <Ferraton>, <Ferray>, <Ferré>, <Ferrer> (gascon), <Ferrères>, <Ferrès>, <Ferret>, <Ferrier>, <Ferrière>, <Ferriol>, <Ferron>, <Ferruaud>, <Ferruyau> etc.

Origine extérieure : <Ferraguti>, <Ferraguto>, <Ferrari>, <Ferreira>, <Ferreiro>, <Ferrer> (catalan), <Ferrero>, <Ferreti>, <Ferreto>, <Ferretti>, <Ferretto>, <Ferri>, <Ferricelli>, <Ferrin>, <Ferrini>, <Ferrino>, <Ferrucci>, <Herrero> etc.
Pinga O'Bollo   Fri May 26, 2006 6:33 am GMT
I'm in a conclusion that Ferrer comes from Catalan and later into Spanish.

Thanks, Greg!
no-name   Fri May 26, 2006 7:11 pm GMT
to Pinga Pongo

Mira a ver donde te la pones
Guest   Sat May 27, 2006 8:04 am GMT
ferrer is not a spanish name but Catalan. Catalunia is not only in Spain but also partly in France, in the region of Perpignan (Perpinya).
ferrer, like a lot of catalan words is more similar to French than Spanish.
Guest   Sat May 27, 2006 8:23 am GMT
It's common to all those languages because it has its roots in Latin.
Guest   Sun May 28, 2006 1:50 am GMT
Actually, Herrero as "Air-err-oh" and Ferrer as "Fer-AIR" are wrongly pronounced. They must be pronounce as Fe-(like in FEnce)-rr-(like in River)-er-(like in rivER, not AIR) and Herr-(like in rivER)-e-(like in mEt)-r-(like in oR)-o-(like in Or). Why is it so hard for non-Spanish speakers ?? :-D
Gerry   Sun May 28, 2006 3:36 pm GMT
<<They must be pronounce as Fe-(like in FEnce)-rr-(like in River)-er-(like in rivER, not AIR) and Herr-(like in rivER)-e-(like in mEt)-r-(like in oR)-o-(like in Or).>>

That doesn't sound right. If the final vowel in Ferrer and the initial vowel in Herrero are pronounced like the 'e' in "river", then they would have the schwa [@] sound. There's no schwa in Spanish.
Guest   Sun May 28, 2006 4:52 pm GMT
I assume river pronounced riveeeeerrrr not rivaaaaaa. Then let's change river for mistER. English pronounciation is hard to compare since the same word is pronounced differently in more than one place or country.
Lazar   Sun May 28, 2006 6:16 pm GMT
^ The above posts are perfect support for the point that I argued with Ping Pong, that IPA/X-SAMPA is absolutely necessary if you seriously want to know how to pronounce anything.
Ping Pong   Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:15 am GMT
Mira a ver donde te la pones, tu pinga.
What's wrong with my obscene name used in this nasty website, no-name ?

I don't think Herrero in Spanish is derived from Ferrer in Catalan. They both are mixed both languages in Spain.
Ping Pong   Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:21 am GMT
Probably the meaning of Ferrer is the same as in other languages, for example Smith in English. I know most words in Spanish are from Latin but words have changed in spelling and pronunciation. The Latin is the master language as the Arabic.