Do you speak Swedish?

Fredrik from Norway   Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:56 pm GMT
I made a similar misinterpretation as a child. I thought that the phrase "da Vårherre og St. Peter vandret på Jorden" (= when Our Lord and St. Peter walked on Earth) in nature fables meant "when the Lord of Spring and St. Peter walked...
:-))
The Swede   Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:54 am GMT
I know also a classical misinterpretation about Brian Adams hit "Summer of 69". When he start to sing: "I got my first real sixstring....." but I know when I was young and those who were in my age sang " I got my first real sexdream...." and it becomes a bit funnier because only a bit after that then he sings "played it to my fingers bled".
First I also thought that he sang "sexdream" but I was a bit relieved because I didn´t sing so loudly during those days.
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:05 pm GMT
LOL!
Perhaps you have to be Swedish to think something like that!!! Just a thought...

Buying a sexdream at the? / for a? five and dime....
The Swede   Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:16 pm GMT
I must add that I´m not old yet, only 20 so it was when we (I) had read English only 2-3 years.
Friherrinnan von Schiit-H   Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:20 am GMT
God, I love the Swedish preposition "ur"!

Ur svenska hjärtans djup...
adliga gumman   Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:23 am GMT
We aritocats need a bit more place in the name field:
Friherrinnan Gunnilla Wilhelmina Låhngstrumpfe
von Schïït-Höögh de la Bögh til Pissfors Bruk
Friherrinnans dachs   Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:29 am GMT
I think it was mentioned some place else on this forum that the Dalecarlian dialect of Swedish was so incredibly archaïc and that the Old Norse case (kasus) system had been kept.

Do any Swedes in here know if any body still speak proper Dalecarlian? Supposedly on the northwestern shore of Siljan...
The Swede   Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:15 am GMT
well, those dialects still exist but there are only a few of the population in the county "Dalarna" who speaks or can speak those dialects. The most of the population in Dalarna speaks real, fairly clear Swedish with an own characteric accnet.
suomalainen   Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:52 am GMT
Even in Finland there are strange Swedish dialects. Especially the dialect of Närpes (spoken on the west coast) differs so much from standard Swedish and other Swedish dialects that it is almost impossible for outsiders to understand. And the interesting thing is that even children speak it, as the situation is also with other Swedish dialects at the coast of Pohjanmaa (Ostrobothnia).