Do you speak Swedish?

Marguerite   Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:02 pm GMT
Hi,

I got some great help with my Dutch pronunciation on this site, so I wonder if I could trouble the Swedish speakers for more. :)

I'm doing some research on Swedish customs, and would like, please, the phonetic pronunciations and syllable stresses for the following words (example: hello HELL-oh):

Vaffelsdagen
Vaffla (the first letter a has a small circle over it)
Var Frau (again, the first letter a has a small circle over it)
Lussibrud
Lussidagen

Thank you!
Then Swede   Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:29 am GMT
Where have you found those words Våffeldagen, Våffla, etc etc?
The Swede   Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:44 pm GMT
Well, I shall try to explain how to pronunce Våffeldagen.
V as in english å as au in because or o in low. After that you say "fell" exactly as the english word. You say da as da in the british english accent word dance. Finally gen as gen in gentleman. So something like this "Vaufell,dagen"
Marguerite   Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:46 pm GMT
Hi Swede,

I found them in an old book. The first ones have to do with waffles, and the others with St. Lucy.

Thank you--that helps a lot!

So...

Vaffelsdagen=VOH-fell-DAH-jen (as in Jennifer)?

Vaffla=VOH-flah?

Lussidagen=LOOSE-see-DAH-jen?

What about Var Frau and Lussibrud?
The Swede   Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:25 pm GMT
Well ok, you pronunce "gentleman" like this"djen-" but ok. In correct Swedish you shall (gen) with the same e sound as in gentleman.
About Vår Frau and Lussibrud, I have never heard Lussibrud but I think The book mean lussebröd. Because thats typicall for Santa Lucia.
You pronunce u as u do in tsunami and e as in gentleman and ö as the vowelsound in heard or u in murder. It will be something like this Lusse,brud. Your interpretation of Våffla is correct. I have to think a bit of what Var Frau what that can be.
Walker, Texas Ranger   Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:29 pm GMT
The 'g' is not pronounced as it is in 'gentleman', but as the 'g' in 'gold'. The 'å' is pronounced as the 'o' in 'hot' (English english) in this case because there are two 'f's. Other than that the Swede is correct. But of course, it's not 'fell' exactly as in English, the 'l's are pronounced a little bit different, not as fat as in English. But 'fell' will do. You put the stress on the third syllable.
Våffla = 'v' - 'o' as in 'hot' - 'f' - 'l' - 'a' as in 'da', 'in da house'...
'Lusse' and 'brud' are quite impossible for me to describe since the 'u' in neither word exist in the English language. But 'dagen' is pronounced the same as above in both words.
Vår fru -or Fru-, same here, the 'u' is pronounced as the 'u' in 'brud'...
By the way, I'm Swedish too.
Walker, Texas Ranger   Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:32 pm GMT
In Våffla the stress is put on the first syllable.
The Swede   Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:36 pm GMT
Östgöten vet du vad Vår Frau kan vara?
Walker, Texas Ranger   Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:46 pm GMT
Nej ingen aning, Frau är ju Fru på tyska..
The Swede   Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:47 pm GMT
Both of you shall take a look this site
http://14.freebb.com/index.php?freebb=antimoonbis
The Swede   Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:49 pm GMT
Vårfrö, låter det som något bekant?
Walker, Texas Ranger   Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:59 pm GMT
Seems like a fine site!
Vårfrö låter förresten inte bekant
The Swede   Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:10 pm GMT
Ok, nej jag var lite undrande själv om det fanns men jag kan inte identifiera det med något heller (som tex vårfröbulle eller något sånt)
Marguerite   Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:47 pm GMT
Swede/Walker,

Thank you so much--this is great!

Walker, do you live in Texas? I live in Missouri. :)

I'm going to give it one more try now, if you don't mind...

Vaffelsdagen=VOH-fell-DAH-ghen

Lussidagen=LOOSE-ay-DAH-ghen

Var Frau=VOHR FRUH (FRUH rhymes with English "through"?)

Lussibrud=LOOSE-ay-BROOD
(Swede, this is the "Lucy bride,"--the daughter in the family who dresses as St. Lucy--so is brud correct or should it be bröd? Or is brud an older version of bröd, perhaps?

Marguerite
Marguerite   Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:48 pm GMT
Swede,

Sorry, I forgot--thanks for the link to the Translations Help page. I didn't know about it, otherwise I would have started there first.

Thanks for the tip!

Marguerite