Since Adam was a lad

Candy   Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:26 pm GMT
Yes, I know all that, thank you. Of course I'm not saying I believe the legend; I don't, any more than I believe the Da Vinci Code nonsense. I was just pointing out that the 'Jesus in Glastonbury' legend goes back to the 12th century at least, and possibly far longer. Yes, some people today might use the legend for their own purposes, but it still has an ancient history and wasn't invented by 'Anglo-Saxon Israelites' or whoever. You don't have to 'warn' me about anything. I couldn't care less about such people.

<<* And of course, even if Jesus had walked "upon England's mountains green" it would not have been England at all; England did not exist in the First Century AD. >>

I'll be sure to point that out to William Blake, next time I meet him.
A6015LE   Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:30 pm GMT
Oh, I have no beef with Blake - or charming legends in and of themselves.

Just with those that try to make something more of them than they are: the Dan Browns and the Adams of this world.
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:34 pm GMT
Interesting stuff you bring up here. It has always fascinated me how the English (or perhaps all Britons) traditionally identify with Israel, while the Germans...eh...don't!
Candy   Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:42 pm GMT
<<Just with those that try to make something more of them than they are: the Dan Browns and the Adams of this world.>>

True - though at least Brown made himself a multi-millionaire with his silly tosh. And what does Adam do.....just annoy us all!
Damian in Dun Eidann   Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:50 pm GMT
**the English (or perhaps all Britons) traditionally identify with Israel, while the Germans...eh...don't**

Credit where credit is due......throughout history England has always been a refuge for people who have had to escape tyranny and persecution in their own homelands for whatever reason......religious or political. They sought sanctuary in these islands and it was gladly given with a welcome.....from the Protestant Huguenots coming over from Catholic France to the Jews in later years escaping horrific conditions on the Continent, more especially prior to and during WW2. Refuge still goes on today to a certain extent in the name of asylum seekers, something now shared, of course, with other countries in the EU and elsewhere.

Israel and the Jewish religion.......some areas of London are almost entirely Jewish....Golders Green, Colindale, Edgware, Finchley - as well as the well known Jewish ghettoes of the East End of London.

Anti Semitism has not been a feature of British life in recent history. Most people here don't give a toss about people's religious beliefs or lifestyles....the problem mainly is when hospitality becomes abused and taken for granted a wee bit and PC takes hold as a one way street...as usual.
Able   Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:28 pm GMT
Why did the puritans leave.
Uriel   Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:04 am GMT
Of their own accord. England wasn't up to their we-don't-want-any-fun, thank-you, and-you-should-be-having-any-either standards.