expressions

Boy   Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:14 pm GMT
I have heard these two expressions in an American sitcom.

1. "Don't make my skin feel crawl".... I heard something like this. I am not really sure If I am quoting the exact word of an expression as I took a mental note of it.

2. Caught off guard.

Please use them in a couple of example sentences. Thanks for your help.
Guest   Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:22 pm GMT
"Don't make my skin crawl" means don't make me nauseous. eg. The sight of cockroaches makes my skin crawl.

Caught off guard means ill-prepared. eg. I was caught off guard by your unexpected visit.
Boy   Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:09 pm GMT
Thanks once again . Great example sentences.
Uriel   Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:10 am GMT
Boy, do you know that strange sensation you get down the back of your neck when something creeps you out or scares you? That's your skin "crawling", in English.

If you're on your guard, you're ready, prepared, and able to defend yourself (literally or metaphorically). If you're off guard, you're not. Make sense now?
Boy   Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:49 pm GMT
Uriel, you are right. I don't know the reason behind it but sometimes my skin feels a kind of jerk when I am seeing a scary dream(I think this is what you are referring to, my skin is crawling). All of a sudden, I have to move my hand in any direction when I feel this kind of sensation feeling on my hand. One day I told this thing to my friend and he told me that gas had floated around my hand(lol) and it had nothing to do with goose bumps. As a kid, I used to get this strange sensation whenever I had a look at lizards or snakes. Although watching Animal Planet daily has diminished all strange sensations from my body system. That steve guy, whatever his name is, is one fecking brave guy! Even snakes love him and run away from him...lol..

Uriel, thanks for your explanation. It made perfect sense to me.
Boy   Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:14 pm GMT
Uriel, can you tell me which bands or singers have sung these songs and which albums they are from? These are hit songs and played quite frequently on FM radios. Unfortunately, whenever I tune in to my local FM radios on my cell phone..they are already in the middle ... so i don't get a chance to hear the actual singer or band bame of these songs.

1. promiscious girl.
2. mysterious girl..mysterious girl( these are some words from a song.. as a chorus).
3. Buttons??? by pussycats...which album it come from?

Thanks.
Uriel   Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:03 am GMT
Never heard of any of those, I'm afraid. But it would be "promiscUous", not "promiscIous".

If you can get a few more of the lyrics together, you can do a google search on the lyrics, and that may lead you to the name of the bands involved. But they don't sound familiar to me.
Tyrone   Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:25 pm GMT
Boy,

"Promiscuous Girl" is a new song by Nelly Furtado featuring Timbaland, from her new upcoming album, "Loose."

As for the other two, I am unsure.

There is a recent by the female group, the Pussycat Dolls, called "Buttons." The song features American rap star Snoop Dogg and is on the album PCD.

Peter Andre is a British/Australian musician who sings "Mysterious Girl"

I hope all of those help!
Boy   Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:14 am GMT
Tyrone

Your musical knowledge is awesome. Now it would be easier for me to buy CDs that contain these songs. Thanks for your help.