How to Learn British or American Accent

Yogesh Bari   Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:45 pm GMT
In the “flattened” world, communication is crucial in global businesses. For English to function as the "lingua franca," pronunciation or accent is the key. Otherwise, how can we expect people from Qinghai (China), Kerala (India) and Kansas (US) to communicate with each other in English?

As manager of “Cross-cultural Business English Communication Training” for software professionals and BPO employees in a Bangalore-based MNC, I strongly feel that accent improvement is almost everyone’s need today.

I have some practical suggestions and advice on
www.antimoon.com/forum/2003/2487.htm and
http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2003/2476-2.htm.

Referring to these links, many eager learners write to me asking about books, CDs, etc. Here are some useful resources for all:

FOR BRITISH ACCENT LEARNERS

1. Better English Pronunciation – J. D. O’Connor (Book with Audiocassettes) (Cambridge University Press)

2. Gimson's Pronunciation of English - Alan Cruttenden, A. C. Gimson (Hodder Arnold Publication)

FOR AMERICAN ACCENT LEARNERS

1. American English Pronunciation Program (Booklet with 6 Audiocassettes) - Barbara Raifsnider (Living Language Publication)

2. American Accent Training – Ann Cook (Book with 6 Audio CDs) (Barron’s Educational Series)

FOR UK AND US AUDIO PRONUNCIATION CD-ROM AND BOOK

English Pronouncing Dictionary with CD-ROM – Daniel Jones, Peter Roach (Editor), James Hartman (Editor), Jane Setter (Editor) 16TH EDITION (Cambridge University Press)

I hope this information will help you all. Good luck!

Yogesh Bari

yogeshbari@rediffmail.com
Malaika   Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:55 pm GMT
Thanks a lot, Yogesh. I work as a in a call center in India. I wanted to know about training materials.
Randy Mancao   Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:11 pm GMT
I'm a speech class teacher rendering free services in our place here in the Philippines in the city of Cebu. To increase my knowledge, i want to learn how to do the british accent so as to teach my students for free. I hope u would be generous to give me a free book and cassette tapes or cd's.

thanks.

randy mancao
rmsm8888@yahoo.com
615 S.Z. P del Rosario Extension, CEbu City
Philippines 6000
shaji k.v   Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:25 am GMT
I wand to be a Medical transcriptionist.For this job American accent is must.I hope you would generous to give me cd's

thanks.

shaji.k.v
shajikvn@yahoo.com
kalluvalappil,sreestha(p.o) ,pin:670303
kannur district
kerala
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:57 am GMT
It's all very simple:

1 The best way to learn a British accent?
Go to Great Britain, but first make sure you meet up with all
the legal immigration / visitor visa criteria.

2 The best way to learn an American accent?
Go to the United States, but first make sure you meet up with all
the legal immigration /visitor visa criteria.

After that, it's up to you.
Gladys Cup   Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:39 am GMT
I'm a student in AMA Butuan here in the Philippines. I just want to know how to speak the American Accent .Please Help me!If you have a sites that teach American Accent please send that to me..Thank YOu!God Bless!
Guest   Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:53 am GMT
Ann Cook in her book American Accent Training says Indian people cannot get rid of their Indian sing-a-song intonation...they may improve their grammar skills, they may learn more words, but Indian accent it's always there...