What language should I learn at university?

The one ...   Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:07 am GMT
I'm going to go to university next year, but i don't know on which language i should have education.Which is the most necessary language on Earth after English?Have you got any idea about my question?I can choose to have education on these languages.Would you recommend me one of them, please?
German, American Eng, Arabic, Bulgarian, contemporary Greek, Chinese, Old Greek, Persian (Farsi), French, Hungarian, English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Polish, Russian, Urdu, Greek, Indonesian or Dutch.
Which one would you recommend?
Jav   Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:50 am GMT
If your really are a person going to an university, and not some troll trying to disguise yet another "which language is superior" topic in a question, then you ought to be perfectly capable of making that choice yourself.

Don't tell me that a person going to a university can't do a little research (a.k.a Google search) of her or himself.
Jav   Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:52 am GMT
Btw, I just noticed.Which University offers American and British English as two different languages to learn?
Candy   Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:22 pm GMT
<<Which is the most necessary language on Earth after English?>>

Sounds exactly like a troll topic to me - no doubt you're hoping that it will develop into one of those interminable 'which is the best language?' threads that Antimoon is plagued with. The answer depends entirely on which part of the world you're in - I notice you don't state that - and what your aims are in learning another language. But I'm sure you already know that, which is why I'm very suspicious of your reasons for starting this thread.
The One ....   Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:47 pm GMT
One is American language and Culture and the other one is English language and literature.
Jav   Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:55 pm GMT
"American language"? And you are a university student?!
Guest   Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:14 pm GMT
I know that there is nothing like American language!I know it is English of course.The main notion there is American culture.I suppose that you have a brain to understand that!
Jav   Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:24 pm GMT
No, you're never going to be a university student.Not with that attitude or intelligence
Dr. Louisa Kellen   Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:23 pm GMT
Wow y'all are mean! Leave him alone, he's asking a simple question so answer it or if you don't know DON'T SAY ANYTHING.
Having studied linguists and literature at a British university, I would recommend that you study some European language, such as German which would be very economically useful. If you are what they call a 'language person,' i.e. you pick up languages well and can comprehend grammar and so on, I would learn chinese. It is a complex and supposidly difficult language but as I'm sure the intelligent people around will know, China is about the burst into the economy.
Hope this helps.
-   Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:54 am GMT
German is economically useful? What about french which I think is as economically useful as German or even spanish?
The one ...   Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:47 am GMT
Thank you for your advice, Louisa.
Candy   Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:38 am GMT
<<Wow y'all are mean! Leave him alone, he's asking a simple question so answer it or if you don't know DON'T SAY ANYTHING.>>

We're not being 'mean', we've just been here longer than you and know how these threads develop. When someone asks <<Which is the most necessary language on Earth after English?>> then names Latin and Old Greek, I just find that odd. As for German being 'economically useful', of course that's true in Europe, but I doubt it would help 'The One' much in South America or Africa, say. It's impossible to give a meaningful answer to his question without knowing which part of the world he lives in.
The One ...   Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:07 pm GMT
Hey, no need to be rude!I just asked a question.The place I live in is Taiwan.Where i live doesn't matter much about the question, i think.Because the language we speak here is Mandarin Chinese and English.Do you think it differs much?
Jav   Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:14 pm GMT
lol, English and Mandarin Chinese nah, they don't differ much.

On a more serious note, I though they speak Min-nan Chinese in Taiwan
Jav   Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:26 pm GMT
Something odd I just saw...

You live in Taiwan.Where they, according to you, speak English and Mandarin Chinese.

In that case, why would you learn English, or Chinese (ie. Mandarin)?
Also, you said you think English is the most important language in the world, so why did you list it?

Furthermore, I happen to know that only extremely few universities in the world offer Dutch, In would think it's quite unlikely they offer in in Taiwan. Of course, I'm assuming you're not going to a university abroad now.

Nevertheless I've compiled what I believe to be an accurate list of 'importance' in various regions linked to Taiwan.

In the medical field.
- Latin
- Old Greek

In an economical way

English (American variant over the British one)
Chinese
Japanese

To use in 'direct' suroundings
-Chinese
-Japanese
-Korean
-Indonesian

Languages that have little to no value for you in your current position:

- German
- Arabic
- Bulgarian*
- Greek*
- Dutch.*
- Persian (Farsi)*
- Urdu
- Spanish
- Italian
- Polish*
- Russian
- French
- Hungarian*

* Your university offers these languages? Which one are we talking about?