Translation from English to French

Annabelle Morison   Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:11 am GMT
I wrote a lullaby song that I'm going to sing to my daughter, Taylor, and I want to have the lyrics translated from English into French, and I was wondering if anyone could do that for me. Also, since I'm learning French, is it possible to give me phonetic versions of how to pronounce the French translations? Here are the English lyrics.

Verse 1.
Night-night, Taylor, have no fear.
Demon's gone and bedtime's here.
Rock a bye, don't you cry.
Go to sleep, my Taylor.
Verse 2.
Night-night, Taylor, dry your eyes.
I'll sing you a lullaby.
Go to sleep, my Taylor.
Verse 3.
Night-night, Taylor, in my arms.
May these hours bring dreamland's charms.
Go to sleep, My Taylor.
Coda. (Whispered.)
Baby Taylor!
Annabelle Morison   Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:55 am GMT
Brennus.
I just read over this translation, but it's very confusing to me. The translation of the English lyrics doesn't seem to fit in time with the rhythm of the song, which is supposed to be in waltz time. Also, to help with better understanding of the English lyrics. The phrase Night-night in the lyrics is a common babytalk term for "Good Night". The term, "Rock a Bye", is sung here as in Rock a Bye Baby. Is there a simpler translation for the phrase, "Go To Sleep"? Would it be something like "Fais Dodo"? Also, there's a little bit of confusion for me. Is there a French translation for the name Taylor? Would it be the same as "Tailleur"? Or is that Tailor?
Candy   Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:29 am GMT
<<Is there a French translation for the name Taylor?>>

But you don't want to translate the name, surely? Your daughter's name is Taylor, not Tailleur or anything else!

<<The translation of the English lyrics doesn't seem to fit in time with the rhythm of the song, which is supposed to be in waltz time.>>

Well, I think you're asking a lot to expect a translation that fits the rhythm of the original English song, and that's not what you asked for. You said <<I want to have the lyrics translated from English into French>> and that's what Brennus did. Whether correctly or not, I don't know - as a native English speaker, I can translate French into English, but not the other way round.
Nun Es   Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:41 am GMT
I am french and i can tell you, this translation does not work:

-Le démon est parti et l'heure du coucher ici.
-->it does mean anything

-La nuit nocturne, Taylor, n'a aucune peur.
-->not really poetic, maladroit.

Je vous chanterai une berceuse.
--> you don't use the "vous" for a baby.

Balancez-vous au revoir, ne faites pas vous criez.
-->it does mean anything

Le mai ces heures-ci apporte les charmes de monde imaginaire.
-->???

Coda. (Chuchoté).
-->???

About the name "Taylor", maybe there is a translation, but i don't know it.

I am not a translator so i won't do it. I can only tell you it does not work, the meaning in english is lost in the french translation.
Sigma   Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:14 pm GMT
the meaning in english is lost in the french translation.

En general cuando se usan traductores, se pierde la significación y el sentido original de las palabras y oraciones.
Annabelle Morison   Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:48 am GMT
Nun Es, Are you a Native French speaker? Can you give me the French Translation of the English Lyrics? Just in case you might have forgotten, here's a refresher of the Lyrics in English. To help you better understand these lyrics, this song is one I wrote as a lullaby for my Baby Daughter, Taylor. It is written in 3/4 (Waltz) Time. In the lyrics, the phrase "Night-night" is a common babytalk term for "Good Night". Rock-a-bye is sung here as in Rock-a-bye Baby. Here are the English Lyrics.
Verse 1.
Night-Night, Taylor, have no fear.
Demon's gone and bedtime's here.
Rock-a-bye, don't you cry.
Go to sleep, my Taylor.
Verse 2.
Night-night, Taylor, dry your eyes.
I'll sing you a lullaby.
Rock-a-bye, Don't you cry.
Go to sleep, my Taylor.
Verse 3.
Night-Night, Taylor, in my Arms.
May these hours bring Dreamland's Charms.
Rock-a-bye, Don't you cry.
Go to sleep, my Taylor.
Coda. (Whispered.)
Baby Taylor!
Nun Es   Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:57 pm GMT
yes i am french.

Bonne nuit Taylor, ne crains rien.
Le démon est parti, il est temps de dormir. (you don't use these kind of words in french, in french or other latin cultures, people think they will scarry the baby with words like that).
Rock-a-bye, Don't you cry.???
Fermes les yeux, mon Taylor (it cannot be translatod as “ go to sleep” because it means Taylor is not in his bed but somewhere eslse)

Bonne nuit Taylor, sèche tes larmes.
Je vais te chanter une berceuse.
Rock-a-bye????, Don't you cry.
Ferme les yeux, mon Taylor.
Bonne nuit, Taylor, dans mes bras.(seems funny).
Puissent ces heures construire un rêve merveilleux. (seems funny).
Rock-a-bye, Don't you cry.???
Ferme les yeux, mon Taylor.
Coda???. (chuchoté.)
Bébé Taylor.

As i said i am not a translator, i think you can understand the meaning, but it seems funny, « MALADROIT ».

Exemple, you don’t use to say bébé+Prénom in French (like baby Taylor). You say Taylor or if you want to express affection you say, ma puce, mon poussin, mon chérie….
Annabelle Morison   Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:30 pm GMT
"Fermes les yeux, mon Taylor (it cannot be translatod as “ go to sleep” because it means Taylor is not in his bed but somewhere eslse)"
Nun Es, Taylor is a girl, not a boy.
Presley.   Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:01 am GMT
Annabelle Morison:

I think you're expecting way too much.

You can't expect the rythm of the song to meet with lyrics translated to their original meanings!

First of all, English and French are differnet languages! You must realize the fact that words have different numbers of syllables and tones.

Second, many of the phrases in the song are completely "invented"! You can't expect French to have the same terms carrying the same conotations as in English.

Furthermore, I have NEVER seen songs in different languages (excluding extremely close languages like say, Norwegian and Swedish) that have literal translations. You always have to slightly change things around to maintain the original rythm/melody.

For examples, here are the English and French lyrics for the Canadian national anthem, O Canada:

English:

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee

French:

Oh Canada! Terre de nos aïeux
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée
Il sait porter la croix
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits

Obviously, the melody of the song cannot be changed, so they had to change the meanings of most of the lines.
Jo   Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:06 am GMT
Annabelle Morrison said: "Just in case you might have forgotten, here's a refresher of the Lyrics in English."

Do you really think reposting the lyrics was necessary? I mean, it's right there in your first post after all.
Bonnie Zhang   Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:25 am GMT
"Tailleur"... that just sounds funny, now.

Of course, Brennus's translation was from an online translator, and those are really not to be trusted. Let's see what contributions I can make:

"Rock-a-bye" --> No real equivalent in French, I think.
"Don't you cry" --> Ne pleure pas.
"Night night, Taylor, in my arms" --> Couche-toi, Taylor, dans mes bras (not literal, but as close it can get without being nonsense).
"May these hours bring dreamland's charms" --> Que ces heures t'apporte les charmes d'un rêve.

But yes, someone please help, heehee.

One last comment...
Annabelle wrote: "The translation of the English lyrics doesn't seem to fit in time with the rhythm of the song, which is supposed to be in waltz time."

You will excuse my asking if you have any common linguistic sense (see Presley's post). Now, do you want:
1. An actual translation, or
2. A new song in French, with different meanings perhaps, set to the same tune and rhythm as your English lullaby?
Nun Es Patri   Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:15 pm GMT
And as you see the translation cannot work, i even did not know Taylor was a name for females.
Annabelle Morison   Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:35 pm GMT
Yes, Nun Es, Taylor is a name that is common for both genders.
nun es   Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:03 pm GMT
I don't think you can really translate that song, especially with expressions like "Rock-a-bye" which do not have any equivalent in french.
Annabelle Morison   Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:13 am GMT
Linda, do you know of how to translate the song lyrics I posted above from English to French? And also, is there a French translation for the name Taylor?