meaning

Bonnie Zhang   Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:11 am GMT
To Rain:

Sorry, sorry, here I am! Been a bit busy these days... this being exam season, you know? ^^

Uriel guessed that you were Burmese but, for one thing, I'm not even so sure that they have internet access in Burma (Myanmar), or let their citizens travel to other places in the world. Maybe you've emigrated?

As for corrections,
"I apologise you" --> "I apologise to you", or simply, "I apologise".

"In case I explain him/her the wrong thing" --> "In case I explain the wrong thing to him/her."

And this wouldn't really matter, since Chinese isn't written in the Roman alphabet anyway, but the standard romanisation of "twae pa chi" is "dui bu qi". Just telling you this because the average Chinese person probably wouldn't be able to recognise "twae pa chi". (But then and again, the average NON-Chinese person wouldn't understand how "dui bu qi" is pronounced because it's not English spelling, haha.)

To Guest 7:

You use "if you don't mind" to be polite. Generally...
1. There's the *slightest* possibility or no possibility of the other person feeling uncomfortable with what you're about to do...
2. You don't expect that he/she will really oppose your action...
3. And you're just trying to be nice and polite.

So, for instance, you COULD say:
"If you don't mind, may I take a bottle of water from your fridge?"

Reasoning:
1. The average person would be happy to give you a bottle of water.
2. There's no reason for the average person to *not* give you water. (Unless there's a drought and and everyone's equally thirsty.)
3. You're asking to take someone else's property (even if it's only water), so you should be polite.

On the other hand, you WOULD NOT say:
"If you don't mind, may I shoot you?"

Reasoning:
1. No one would want to be shot (suicidal cases excepted).
2. If you're going to shoot someone, you wouldn't be feeling polite.
Guest   Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:00 pm GMT
Rain

Yes, it would be better to say 'I am not showing off' or if you are speaking to someone 'I am not showing off to you'.

If you want me to teach you more I would suggest instead of the following:

'Whenever they said me like that, I don't know how to respond to them'

'Whenever they have said something like that to me, I haven't known how to respond to them' or

'Whenever they say something like that to me, I don't know how to respond'.

Hope that is helpful.
Guest7   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:46 am GMT
Thank you very much Bonnie Zhang and Rain for your kindly reply.
I always want to know many many English meaning because I am very weak in English. I am vary like your explanation.

I would like to know the meaning of "It's really really amazing stuff" and
"I'm just nothing here and don't want to come back unless I'm someone here".
Bonnie Zhang   Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:56 am GMT
"It's really, really amazing stuff"

That just means something is very interesting, or fun, or strange, or wonderful. The word "amazing" has a very broad meaning! So does the word "stuff"... "stuff" can pretty much mean anything, haha.

"I'm just nothing here and don't want to come back unless I'm someone here."

The person is saying that people here either don't pay attention to her or treat her as if she were a lower-class being. And she won't come back until she becomes more important or people start paying attention to her. (Not sure if this person is male or female... I'm just using the feminine gender out of habit so please don't make a big deal out of this.)
Guest7   Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:44 am GMT
To Bonnie Zhang

Thank you for your kindly reply. You are the teacher for me. If my sentence is mistake, please point out clearly.

And then, I would like to know the meaning of "You are gorgious as ever" and "Keep it up".
Bonnie Zhang   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:22 pm GMT
"You are as gorgeous as ever" means "you have always been beautiful, and you are still very beautiful".

"Keep it up" means "good work, and keep up the good work!"

And since you asked me to point out mistakes, here's a re-wording of your sentence:

"Thank you for your kind reply. You are my teacher. If there are mistakes in my sentence, please point them out clearly."

My reply: Haha, you're welcome. Teaching is fun! ^^
What language do you speak? Would you like to teach me your language?
Rain   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:25 pm GMT
To Uriel:
Thank you very much for your answer to my question.
Yes, ur guess is right. You are a good guesser! I am Myanmar. I think you have never heard of my country before because It is just a developing country. Now the name of my country has been changed to "Myanmar".
Rain   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:26 pm GMT
Hello Bonnie Zhang,

Nice to meet you again. I am really happy to hear from you.
Have you finished your exam? Good luck with your exam!!!!!!!!!

I don’t understand what you said. Why do you think citizens of our country can not travel to other places in the world? We can go to anywhere we like if we wish. And I have not emigrated and never I will. How can I emigrate my native country? (I mean I will not emigrate my country for good)
There is also no limitation to use the internet access in our country. It is not as you think.

I think your relatives may be here because many Chinese have been staying in our country and their relatives from China and Hong Kong often come here to see them.

Ok…Let’s stop talking about our country. I think all people are the same regardless of the location where they live, the language they use and the living standard of their own country. Anyway, I think I am lucky to have a good friend and teacher like you. I will never forget your great support on me and I still need your help.

Good bye for now and see you again!
Rain   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:35 pm GMT
To Guest:
Thank you again for your correction of my mistake. It is very kind of you to help me. I will be careful next time not to make mistake like that. ( * Is that sentence right? Or Can I write “ I will be careful next time not to make such mistake”? )

To tell you frankly, the reason of my using Antimoon is to improve my English. But when I get replies from you and other users, I am very very happy because I feel I get many friends from all over the world. I don’t remember to learn from you and I nearly forget my objective.

I have noticed that many persons including you have been helping us to improve our English by correcting our mistakes, giving good suggestions, answering our questions and so on. Thank you very much. I wish I had ability like you. But now I am trying to improve my English as much as I can and I hope I will get my goal one day. I hope the days I can help other persons in learning English will arrive in the near future.

My message is rather long and there will be thousands of mistakes in that. Don’t laugh at me and correct my mistakes and please teach me more.
Thank you again and again from the bottom of my heart.
Rain   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:53 pm GMT
To Guest7:

hi Guest7,
I feel ashamed when I have read your words of thank to me. I have done nothing for you. But I believe you have got some great benefit from Antimoon.
Let's try together to improve our English.
Guest7   Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:49 am GMT
Thank Bonnie Zhang,

If I had a friend, she asked me "How do u measure a success?". How can I answer? Please answer on behalf of me.
Bonnie Zhang   Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:25 am GMT
To Rain:

Heh, let's blame the media for their portrayal of your country, then. The news tends to focus on Aung San Suu Kyi and portray your government as... let's not mention it. Anyway, I'm happy that you're thriving in Myanmar ^.^ No limitation on internet access: that's more than I can say for China (Google.cn, anyone?)
Bonnie Zhang   Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:36 am GMT
To Rain again:

And thanks a lot for your well wishes!!! ^^

Yeah, I guess I've been a bit sharp recently because of exams and all that (see the "Call centre agents" thread... I really went on fire there, y'know).

I do apologise if you felt uncomfortable at the way I painted your country. I do know that Myanmar is a very beautiful place with friendly people...it's just that my conception of your *government* has been coloured by the media. I really didn't mean to criticise Myanmar. In any case, sorry.

And OF COURSE people are all the same regardless of their location or language ^^
Rain   Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:08 pm GMT
To Bonnie Zhang :

Hi!
Have you been busy?
I hope everything is ok with you.
I miss your laughter (hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!)
Uriel   Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:09 am GMT
Sorry, I knew it had been changed to Myanmar at one point, but I thought I had read somewhere that the name had been changed back to Burma recently.

And why wouldn't I have heard of the place? They sell maps in the US, too, you know....