A "teenaged" boy/girl

Chris   Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:18 pm GMT
>> Do you say "middle-age man" or "middle-aged man"? If the latter, then why not "teenaged boy"? <<

Yes, I do. Hmm. Good question. For some reason "teenaged boy", sounds very odd. I think probably because I've never actually heard anyone in RL say "teenaged", but instead usually just "teenager", and people don't say "middle-ager". lol. Incidentally, my spell checker is flagging the word "teenaged".
Tommie   Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:56 pm GMT
<For some reason "teenaged boy", sounds very odd. I think probably because I've never actually heard anyone in RL say "teenaged", but instead usually just "teenager", and people don't say "middle-ager".>

What's "RL"?
M56   Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:58 pm GMT
A few (and they are few) examples from used English:

LIMIT BY PART OF SPEECH: NO LIMIT BY GENRE: NO (HELP)

1 ADR . Family reservations My friend was fed up with preparing meals for her teenaged children who then often didn't turn up to eat. So
2 AE0 do some good." She plans to encourage her predominantly teenaged followers take an interest in politics at a grass-roots level. She
3 BNN Charsky! Then observing himself as he fluttered and flustered the teenaged Lara in a restaurant! Life was really opening up, thanks
4 C8U his wife were wardens of the hostel, which accommodated twenty teenaged boys. The atmosphere of the hostel was orthodox. Aside from the
5 C8X he saved the six-month-old pup' life. Being grafted onto a teenaged farrier's somewhat wayward lifestyle was doing Henry no good, and
6 C9N beguiled by this most otherworldly of peepshows, but then a teenaged boy, rather fat and muscular, raced up. He began
7 CA3 serious about this music lark. At the time, the teenaged Bowie and Roxy Music fan dreamt of getting out of the rain and
8 CH5 fruit overburdening their source "ripe to be plucked. A teenaged boy had approached her, holding out his hand, mutely begging
9 CHE two years. The boss is also married, with two teenaged children. My daughter has two young sons. We are out of
10 E9T these, that's like a mother trying to put her teenaged son in a shopping trolley at the local supermarket! They were
11 F9D sadly lacking is a middle-of-the-range clothes shop. I have two teenaged children and have to take them into Ipswich or Felixstowe to buy
12 FYY wonderful world of telly ad-land, where 30-year-old mothers have two teenaged children" and every suburban semi has the space and furnishings of
13 G28 with an early start in the morning, the ones with teenaged babysitters, the ones who rarely went out anyway … an hour
14 GW0 's colleges and polytechnics. Peter is married and has two teenaged daughters. Peter Rowe ICM COUNCIL MEMBERS LETTERS One in, all
15 GW3 all-night snack counter near to Marble Arch, about half a dozen teenaged girls had gathered outside the service window to chat. The specialities
16 HDB feel that he was sharing in other people's lives. Teenaged boys paraded in groups of three or four, jostling each other,
17 HGN they sufficed. But it was as I got into my teenaged years I began to get bored with my walk on roles,
18 HGN We join a wild circle-dance at the feet of the giggling teenaged bride, who --; perched on a chair-is hoisted high on the
19 JY0 come the graveyard's defenders. Rainbow sees a band of teenaged yeshivah boys, skullcaps askew and earlocks swinging, armed with cricket
20 JY0 a hand." David and Alan, with the two teenaged boys, went towards the treatment-room. Celia hung back, and

http://view.byu.edu/