Spanish is the most beautiful of all languages

LAA   Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:37 pm GMT
<<i prefer castilian spanish than latin american spanish >>

I honestly don't see how people can say that.
greg   Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:45 pm GMT
LAA : « In English, we can avoid a lot of unnecessary articles (..) ».
Ça recommence !...
Pourquoi les articles seraient-ils "superflus" ?

LAA : « In English, there is the "- er" at the end of words which implies something being "more" or "greater". So we can say "Old(er)", "Bett(er)", and "Prettier", whereas, in Spanish, you have to and "more" to everything, like "mas viejo", "mas mejor", and "mas bonita". »
1/ Ta règle ne fonctionne pas avec les mots de 3 syllabes et plus : <courageous> —> *<courageouser> mais <more courageous>.
2/ Elle ne fonctionne pas non plus avec les comparatifs d'infériorité : <pretty> —> *<prettyless> mais <less pretty>.

LAA : « And English is much more efficient at showing possession or ownership. »
Je dirais que c'est plutôt l'inverse : l'espagnol (ou le français) est beaucoup plus efficace que l'anglais pour exprimer la possession sans ambigüité.
Par exemple la phrase <Juan and Teresa's daughter> peut s'interpréter <la hija de Juan y Teresa> ou <Juan y la hija de Teresa>.
Le même genre d'équivoque se retrouve avec /@U_^ldfr\ent_Sti:t_S@/ (X-Sampa) ou /əʊ̯ldfɹenʧi:ʧə/ (API) : il s'agit de quoi ? D'un vieux professeur français, d'un vieux professeur de français ou d'un professeur d'ancien français ?

LAA : « And Latin languages are also limited in the amount of words they have with which to express any given thought or idea. »
Là tu sombres dans le ridicule le plus total : t'as des arguments ?

LAA : « In English, there is not only a Germanic word, but also a series of Latin alternatives which you can use to convey that one thought. »
Si tu étais un peu moins ignorant et un peu moins prétentieux, tu saurais qu'aux doublets anglais germanique/latin on peut associer les doublets roman/latin dans n'importe quelle langue romane. Exemple : <frêle> (roman) vs <fragile> (latin).

Vraiment, commence par poser des questions au lieu d'affirmer des bêtises. Le ridicule ne tue pas, mais ce serait gênant que les participants d'Antimoon avalent tes inepties.
greg   Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:46 pm GMT
ERRATUM : /əʊ̯ldfɹenʧti:ʧə/ (API)
fab   Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:05 pm GMT
" It's not just that LAA. Don't forget the shortening of words that sometimes could be a headache for non-English speakers. Gym, abs, lab, math, ad, etc and in names as well, Bill, Matt, Mike, Tim, Tom, Rick, etc. Sometimes it seems to be an obsession. :-) "

It is something that I don't like very much in English-speaking cultures, this obsession to be quick, efficient, productive... even when speaking. I tend to thing that in a language it put off all the subtilities and poetry that a language could bring.

" i prefer castilian spanish than latin american spanish "

Me too. with a fragile woman voice it even better :
http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-1555425713955621675&q=mecano
The same way I tend to prefer European variants than American ones, excpet maybe for portuguese. Said that I like also Spanish-American accents such as Mexican or colombian.
LAA   Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:24 pm GMT
I saw that "mujer contra mujer" thing on Yahoo Espana earlier today.

<<The same way I tend to prefer European variants than American ones, excpet maybe for portuguese. Said that I like also Spanish-American accents such as Mexican or colombian. >>

What is that you like about European variants over American ones? I like American English because I'm an American, so that's probably a given. But Brazillian accents sound much better than Continental Portuguese ones, and Latin American Spanish is usually preferrable compared to accents you will find in Spain. At least Mexicans actually enunciate. So, I think as a whole, American variants are superior to that of Europe. That's my opinion anyway.
LAA   Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:32 pm GMT
Greg, you wouldn't be spewing forth some more verbal diarrhea in French now would you? Does it make you feel better when you try to insult me?
fab   Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:41 pm GMT
LAA

tastes are relative. what i don't like in american variants is they seem "unpronounced" to me, like is they were "countryside" accents. in the case of French for exemple, quebec accents tend to look like the accents we had in isolated part of the french countryside:
I generally tend to think that the european forms are more clear. And less "shewwing gum sounding" than their American counterparts. It is just my personal feeling.

As for the song, it is a spanish group (mecano) which was very famous in the eigthies all over Europe. I liked the way Ana Tojora was singing with he fragile voice. That one of the points I like in Spanish accents, it has some tragic poetry in it.
Benjamin (en France en ce   Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:12 pm GMT
<< It is something that I don't like very much in English-speaking cultures, this obsession to be quick, efficient, productive... even when speaking. I tend to thing that in a language it put off all the subtilities and poetry that a language could bring. >>

Yes, but you could say the same for German. Even though my French is much better than my German, I actually don't find it that much more difficult to understand spoken German because it tends to be so clear and direct.
fab   Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:48 pm GMT
BENJAMIN

TU ES OU EN FRANCE EN CE MOMENT ?
Aldo   Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:11 pm GMT
<<As for the song, it is a spanish group (mecano) which was very famous in the eigthies all over Europe. I liked the way Ana Tojora was singing with he fragile voice. That one of the points I like in Spanish accents, it has some tragic poetry in it. >>

Fab, her name is Ana Torroja. I understand what you mean but you are taking just the voice of a professional singer to base your opinion of a whole accent. I'm not bashing to anybody, I believe we all have a particular way to speak, but the standard Spaniard accent is not one the softest from the Spanish accents. I'm not saying that all the American accents are the sweetest even in America there are 'horrible' accents but I insist that it depends in great manners on who is the person that speaks and how do it.
LAA   Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:18 pm GMT
As you said Fab, all tastes are relative, but LA Spanish speakers usually sound more clear in my opinion.
greg   Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:48 pm GMT
LAA : « (...) spewing forth some more verbal diarrhea (...) ».

Je te retourne le compliment — deux fois en l'occurrence.
JR   Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:51 pm GMT
I agree with Greg.

And as to the accents, in Spanish I cannot tie up all the Latin American accents under one term against the Spaniard accent. I prefer the Spaniard accent over the Caribbean one, but not over the Mexican/Colombian one. And I think the Argentinan and Spaniard accents are comparable. With Portuguese, I prefer the Brazilian accent, although I don't see what's so bad about the European one. And with French I prefer the European accent over the Quebecois or African one. And with English, I think I'm with most people on this one when I say I prefer the British accent. I don't think the American accent is ugly, but it sure could do without those As that sound like Es. Compare the As in Fan and Fall. Try to use them interchangeably. It doesn't sound quite right, yet I think it should.
Tiffany   Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:07 pm GMT
LAA, I think the problem here is that you have a habit of stating things as though they are fact, when they are not. Greg is refuting your statements - some of which are offensive to him.

JR - What do you mean by Fan and Fall? In my opinion, neither of them have a vowel sound that resembles an E.
Tiffany   Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:10 pm GMT
By the way, if you are going to be up in arms about "fall" and "fan" not having the same vowel, you should be similarly up in arms about "one" and "cone" not rhyming. Are you?