Spanish is the most beautiful of all languages

Belladonna   Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:03 pm GMT
I agree, Argentinian Spanish is one of the most Italian-sounding languages in the world.
tiquicia   Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:59 pm GMT
and not just that if you go to buenos aires there city is so european
guys kiss on the chicks, i dont know if italians do that but is found very un masculine in other countries.

its funny how they pronounce the (yo) like ch

but honestly i like the argentinian language is crazy
fab   Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:21 pm GMT
" guys kiss on the chicks, i dont know if italians do that but is found very un masculine in other countries. "

I personally do that with family and sometimes close friends, and with girls even if they are not close friends. In France is is not seen as un-masculine.
Le monde est français   Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:39 pm GMT
I agree Portuguese and French sound alike. They do the same thing with their "r"s; it's just that Portuguese is not quite gutteral as French. And they both use the cedille (ç).
Ackro   Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:17 am GMT
I also think Portuguese sounds similair to Russian, and as for Dutch I think ITs the coolest looking and worst sounding
Manu   Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:28 pm GMT
To me Portuguese sounds more like German, because of the sh sound, but it has a much softer sound.
Ayazid   Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:25 am GMT
I am surprised from what I am reading here. Since when sounds Portuguese like German? If it is similar to German because of sh sound then it must be similar also to English, Arabic, Czech, Hungarian etc. and it isn´t. French and Portuguese don´t do the same thing with "r". French r is a strong voiced or voiceless uvular fricative and it always replaces the rolled r. However, in European Portuguese, opening r and -rr- group are pronunciated like an alveolar trill like in Spanish or voiceless velar fricative /x/ similar to "ch" in in Loch Ness (especially in Lisboa). In other cases it´s pronunciated just like normal rolled /r/. In Brazilian Portuguese opening r and -rr- are usually pronuciated mostly like voiceless glottal fricative /h/ (like "h" in hand) or voiceless velar fricative like it is sometimes in European Portuguese (especially in Rio de Janeiro). In other cases the pronunciation of "r" differs in various in various Brazilian regions.

Check this article from Wikipedia for more accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guttural_R#Portuguese
Fran   Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:25 am GMT
In Brazilian Portuguese opening r and -rr- are usually pronuciated mostly like voiceless glottal fricative /h/ (like "h" in hand)

This is wrong. brazilians have a big difficulty in pronouncing the English "H". I think it is amazing how you say Brazilians pronounce the r like/h/ if all "H´s" they pronounce sound like RR.

They say "rrouteu" instead of "hotel". What is "rrappening" instead of "what is happening". I study English, in London, and the Brazilians in my course have many difficulties with the sound of "H". How do you explain this difficulty?

I know many people do not know how to pronounce the "H" but I never spoke with a Brazilian that could pronounce the "H" all I hear is RRRRR. Sometimes this gets so irritating , because one of my school mates, a Brazilian, when we go out, I always have to translate his English to other English people. I am fed up of telling him it is not RR but aspirated /h/ and that no one will understand him if he does not learn to pronounce it but he think he is saying correctly and gets upset. I think he cannot distinguish the difference between the two sounds.
Gringo   Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:29 pm GMT
We all know by now that Portuguese sounds like French, Russian, German, Spanish, or all these languages mixed. I never saw a language with so many accents.

The Portuguese language is so resourceful! It is a great language for anyone that wants to speak several languages, one only has to learn the grammar and vocabulary and not bother with the accent. One will always sound like a native speaker of German , Russian, Spanish or French if one speaks Portuguese. :D

A shame that native speaker of German, French, Spanish, and Russian do not sound like Portuguese, but it only goes one way! Thit is the great advantage of Portuguese, no other language sound like Portuguese . :D
Gringo   Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:34 pm GMT
correction:
This is the great advantage of Portuguese, no other language sounds like Portuguese . :D
Ivano   Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:10 am GMT
Obviously languages like French, Spanish and Italian are one of the most pleasant and beautifilly sounded languages in the world, but i enjoy listening to Russian very much as well. Especially when it comes to singing, Russian outweighs any other european languange. It contains the richest and the most powerful word collection. Its word limit is as big as it can get. I don't suppose any other euro language can be as rich and powerfully sounding as Russian. It is simply zze best.
Belzont   Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:52 pm GMT
I don't know about you but here in Minas Gerais we say Rio, amor
[hiu, amoh] with a H as in English home, house, and not like
Castillian JAMON [xamon] or Lisbon Portuguese Israeli-sounding hard/throaty r/h
Moore   Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:58 pm GMT
Wikipedia

Portuguese:

R-, -RR-

In Europe and Africa,
its most frequent realizations are the voiced uvular fricative or the alveolar trill /r/.

In Brazil, it is usually a voiceless velar fricative /x/, or a voiceless glottal fricative /h/.
Gringo   Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:15 am GMT
««here in Minas Gerais we say Rio, amor
[hiu, amoh] with a H as in English home, house,»»

If you are from Minas, then you really do not pronounce it like the English /h/.

In this site:

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/portuguese.htm

Enter in the link : "Longer sample text (Tower of Babel) "
and you have an audio text from someone from São Paulo that pronounces the "R" the same way you do in Minas.

Also notice what is the notion that people from Brazil have of "Brazilian Portuguese" and "European Portuguese" is an absurd:

The two texts translated of "The Tower of Babel" as

"Português (Portuguese)" and

"Português do Brasil (Brazilian Portuguese)"

are both in Portuguese from Portugal.

Brazilians spread a lot of nonsense about the Portuguese language.
Gringo   Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:29 pm GMT
correction
Also notice that the notion that people from Brazil have of "Brazilian Portuguese" and "European Portuguese" is an absurd: