Latin Aglo AMerican

Latin-Anglo-American   Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:25 am GMT
<<Eear Latin-AngloAmerican- on another thread you said that Italian americans are considered minorities. You are wrong!!! Italians in the United States are considered Anglos, or simply caucasians. On the other hand, the various Hispanic ethnic groups (Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans) ARE considered minorities in America. They are considered Hispanics. >>

Trust me, I live here. Italians on a standardized test would check the mark beside "Cacausian", which is a very broad and generalized category, which also encompasses people of middle eastern origin.

Italians are most often considered a seperate ethnic group. They act different, often times have a certain accent, and form their own cliques.
Although they are considered white, they are a different kind of White, just as Greeks are not grouped in with Swedes and Anglos.
greg   Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:52 am GMT
Latin-Anglo-American : « Italians are most often considered a seperate ethnic group. (...) Although they are considered white, they are a different kind of White, just as Greeks are not grouped in with Swedes and Anglos. »

On nage en plein délire !
a.p.a.m.   Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:28 pm GMT
Italian-Americans have intermarried with other groups to such a large degree that it is impossible to categorize them as a minority or separate ethnic group.
Latin-Anglo-American   Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:07 am GMT
<<Italian-Americans have intermarried with other groups to such a large degree that it is impossible to categorize them as a minority or separate ethnic group.>>

That may be true of other European immigrants, like Germans and Polish Americans, but Italians, especially the first through third generation ones, usually marry within their own ethnic group. Italian-Americans have a strong cultural identity in America, unlike other northern European immigrant who looked like their Anglo counterparts.
Nun Es   Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:31 am GMT
Latin Anglo America

"Trust me, I live here. Italians on a standardized test would check the mark beside "Cacausian", which is a very broad and generalized category, which also encompasses people of middle eastern origin."

You said you don't need to come to France to describe the country. So, my question is: Why should i believe you? I don't need to come to USA to know how works the country.
a.p.a.m.   Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:43 pm GMT
Dear Latin-Anglo-American: I am an American just like you, and believe me when I tell you that most Italian-Americans marry outside of their ethnic group within the first generation. As an American of Italian ancestry I will also point out to you that Italian-Americans do not like to be called a "minority", they want to fit in and integrate into American society immediately. Unlike certain other ethnic groups that have arrived here more recently, such as Central and South Americans, people of Italian ancestry want to be American and strive to learn the English language as soon as possible.
Aldvs   Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:41 pm GMT
<<Unlike certain other ethnic groups that have arrived here more recently, such as Central and South Americans, people of Italian ancestry want to be American ...>>

Central and South >>Americans<< are already Americans.
a.p.a.m.   Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:45 pm GMT
"Central and South Americans are already Americans". I'm talking about Americans as in U.S.A. When you refer to Americans, it refers to one particular nation. The United States of America.
Latin American   Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:01 pm GMT
"Central and South Americans are already Americans". I'm talking about Americans as in U.S.A. When you refer to Americans, it refers to one particular nation. The United States of America.

In English maybe but in Spanish, Portuguese and at least in Quebec French (Ii don't know about French from France if the word "Etats- Unien" exist or not) Americans are all human being born in the American Continent in the same way a European is a human bein born in Europe..

A Central American or South American or Mexican will never say: I'm going to America to refer the US, that's absolutely ridiculous.

For us Americans are all (Canadians, Brazilans, Argentinians, Peruvians, Quebeckers, Mexicans) not only the US citizens.

Or maybe in the same way the only and true Europeans are The English and the rest are only "wanna be's".

America is a Continent not a Country.
a.p.a.m.   Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:18 pm GMT
America is a country, not a continent. The Americas comprise the western hemisphere. You're wrong again Latin-Anglo-American.
Aldvs   Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:46 pm GMT
<<When you refer to Americans, it refers to one particular nation. The United States of
America.>>

In my case whem I refer to Americans, it refers to any people from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego as it is.
Latin-Anglo-American   Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:09 am GMT
<<America is a country, not a continent. The Americas comprise the western hemisphere. You're wrong again Latin-Anglo-American. >>

That was Latin-American, not me!

And, outside of our own U.S. - centric view of the world, other people of North and South America likewise refer to themselves and their continent as being "American". For Americans of the U.S., they use the term, "Norte Americano" to differentiate between us two.
Aldvs   Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:29 am GMT
<<America is a country, not a continent. The Americas comprise the western hemisphere>>

America (not Americas) is not a country it's a continent baptized by Martin Waldseemuller and used for the first time in 1507. And the matter of western or eastern hemisphere is tricky and it depends on what meridian is used. If it's Greenwich or meridian zero, the same way the hemispheres north and south are divided by parallel zero or equator, a part of Europe and Africa would be in the western half.
Aldvs   Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:45 am GMT
<<...other people of North and South America likewise refer to themselves and their continent as being "American". For Americans of the U.S., they use the term, "Norte Americano" to differentiate between us two.>>

Norte Americano to define US people again is incorrect since North America is Canada and Mexico too.

<<When you refer to Americans, it refers to one particular nation. The United States of America.>>

Then from your point of view the "Organization of American States" would be an incorrect name since American as you all claim is somebody from U.S. only.
Guest   Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:02 am GMT
This America/American thing is all a play on semantics. It means several different things, including a country and a continent, determined by the context.