Give examples of words that English is missing

Travis   Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:39 am GMT
Fuck off, "Someone". And I agree completely with american nic that you sound like an absolute ignoramus.

Around here at least, the primary second plural form is "you guys", no matter who one is talking to, *even if they are all female*. And no, "you ladies" is *not* used here, as one would still use "you guys". Anyways, I will also use "you all", though, even though I specifically tend to avoid "y'all" due to its not being a form native to the dialect here.
Someone   Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:52 am GMT
"You guys" - what a primitive and SEXIST aberration for an universal 2nd person plural ! How are the masculine feminist American women ? I am sure they have something to say about “you guys” LOL

Thanks God is only used in your country!

Fuck Y’all and You guys ….LOL LOL LOL LOL
Sander   Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:56 am GMT
I personally don’t like the Ame “Y’all”…It sounds very cowboyish …And I have never heard it outside of the US.
SpaceFlight   Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:17 am GMT
''an universal''

''an'' does not go before ''universal'', Someone.
Travis   Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:04 am GMT
Actually, I haven't heard of anyone here ever having a problem with "you guys". The only individual which I've known who've had had a problem with it was a particular native German-speaker who shall remain unnamed, who couldn't understand that "guys" is grammaticalized here, analogous to "otros" in "vosotros" in Castilian, and is effectively genderless in nature in this given case.

And anyways, what is with the outright hatred expressed towards Americans in general by you, "Someone"? Whatever the US gov't does justifies nothing whatsoever of the sort, and is but a pretext for you and your kind, you absolute piece of shit. If it were anything but Americans, it would be very, very easy to call you an absolute racist pig, at the very least.
Guest   Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:14 am GMT
<<"You guys" - what a primitive and SEXIST aberration for an universal 2nd person plural ! How are the masculine feminist American women ? I am sure they have something to say about “you guys” LOL>>

i agree with whoever "someone" is

"You guys " is very sexist !
american nic   Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:01 am GMT
No, it's not. It's gender neutral in that sense.
Ekko   Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:43 am GMT
Id like to point out to Someone, the expert sociolinguist, that "Yanks" never say y'all.Ever.
Uriel   Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:16 am GMT
"You guys" is not perceived as sexist by female Americans. (I am one.)Y'all is a perfectly good word (I like it), and no one wants to fuck you, Someone, so you may have to do that ... yourself.
Travis   Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:14 am GMT
If anything, "you ladies" would be sexist because it would be having a separate word for female individuals for the second person plural (unless one were to also use it to refer to men as well), and furthermore, it just sounds rather anachronistic by today's standards, at least to me.
Sander   Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:40 am GMT
=>I personally don’t like the Ame “Y’all”…It sounds very cowboyish …And I have never heard it outside of the US. <=

This wasn't me,

For the person who wrote this:I you have something to say do it under your own name.
Rick Johnson   Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:21 pm GMT
If you want a second person plural, you could always use thou and thee for singular- I don't think the girls would stay around very long though!
thomas   Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:39 pm GMT
Fredrik from Norway Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:31 pm GMT
Swede:
In Norwegian "blunde" means to sleep very lightly, to nap.

English certainly lacks a word for the day before yesterday. In Norwegian we say "iforgårs".

yes, "blunde" means that in danish too. and also the day before yesterday (i forgårs) and the day after tomorrow (i overmorgen).
we also have a word called "hygge". there is no such word in english. you can only try to describe it. it can be if a family is playing cards in their sitting room and it rains outside. they're chatting and having fun, feeling comfortable.. ehm.. yeh.. that's what it could be. that situation is "hygge"

as another person said before, there is no difference between a male and a female cousin. in danish: male cousin = fætter. female c. = kusine.

also, you don't know who you're speaking of when you say "my grandmother, grandparents etc.. danish has special words for your mother's mother, father's mother, mother's father, father's father etc..

i can't think of other words right now.
Sander   Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:02 pm GMT
=>as another person said before, there is no difference between a male and a female cousin. in danish: male cousin = fætter. female c. = kusine. <=

M-cousin = neef

F-cousin = nicht
hmm   Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:41 pm GMT
like when your voice start to change / develop we have a word for that in norway ;)