"talk together" or "talk with each other"

Cathy   Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:03 pm GMT
Hi,
I've got a question. Is "talk together" possible in English, or do you have to say "talk with each other"?
Rowena   Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:07 pm GMT
Talk with each other.
Guest   Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:48 pm GMT
Thanks
Geraldine   Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:33 am GMT
Disagree. "With" is the wrong preposition.

You talk TO someone; you're WITH someone, and you talk to her, unless of course she storms out and says "I'm not talking to you any more".

Then you're talking to yourself.
JakubikF   Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:39 pm GMT
I think the aim of the Cathy's question is to get to know if we talk together (when two persons are ot the same room and they're talking) or we talk to each other.

I suppose we can say:
we were talking together in the same time and nobody could understand us.
AND
We were talking to each other for about an hour and we didn't get to any conclusion.

Am I right using those phrases "talk to each other" and "talk together" in that meaning?
Geraldine   Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:13 am GMT
You'd probably say:" We were talking AT the same time, so nobody could understand either of us". You could say "we talk together", and grammatically it would be correct, but the meaning would probably be unclear, as it is not an expression often used, if at all. "We talk to each other" is probably the common phrase.

"Talking to each other" is fine.
Gerald Depardouille   Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:23 am GMT
RE: "Talk with each other" and "talk to each other" -- both constructions are fine.

In some dialects, one might be preferred over the other. However, some supercilious characters are unaware of the variants or feign ignorance over them.