Top 5 English Learner Dictionaries

Sam   Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:36 am GMT
From
http://esl.about.com/od/engilshvocabulary/tp/tp_dict.htm
<<<<<<<<<<<
Top 5 English Learner Dictionaries

Guide Picks

Bilingual dictionaries are great. English learner dictionaries are better! These dictionaries have been designed with English learners in mind, and as such provide extra learning tools for pronunciation, verb types, basic grammar structures, and more. These dictionaries are also designed with standard test syllabi in mind so that learners are guided towards the TOEFL, IELTS or any of the Cambridge Suite of Exams (PET, KET, FCE, CAE and Proficiency).

1) Longman Learner's Dictionary of American English
Longman is the very best for students learning English to study, live and work in North America. This dictionary provides lots of handy refernce materials, special in-depth looks at issus such as idioms, phrasal verbs and more.

2) American Heritage Dictionary for Learners of English
The American Heritage® Dictionary for Learners of English is especially designed to suit the needs of ESL students. With an up-to-date word list and definitions adapted from The American Heritage® Dictionary databases, abundant sample sentences and phrases, and an easy-to-use alphabetic pronunciation system all provide an excellent learning tool.

3) Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
The standard in British English, the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary provides the ideal tool for English learners who wish to take any of the Cambridge advanced exams (FCE, CAE and Proficiency). Dictionary includes a learning CD-ROM with helpful resources and exercises.

4) Oxford Elementary Learner's Dictionary of English
For lower level learners, the Oxford Elementary Learner's Dictionary of English provides key English learning resources especially suited for British English classes.

5) Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Oxford's advanced learner's dictionary is suited to advanced level learners of British English. Unlike most North American resources, Oxford does a great job of providing comparisons between standard North American and British English. This dictionary is excellent for those who wish to study English as a global language.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What do you think? I'm in the process of getting a new dictionary, and I'm hesitating between the Oxford Advanced Learner's and the Cambridge Advanced Learner's.
Can you help me?
:D!   Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:58 pm GMT
I have the Oxford Advanced Learners and i love it ;)
Steve   Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:18 pm GMT
I have the Oxford Advanced Learner's (electronic dictionary) and I can really recommend it. "This dictionary is excellent for those who wish to study English as a global language. " <- Good description.
Awoala Jack from Nigeria   Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:05 pm GMT
Cambridge International English Dictionary is the very best. I have used it once and am hoping to get the current edition. It has more than enough example sentences from all works of life and assisted by experts in their various fields. Tell me , won't you get all you desire as a learner ,even more? Seeing that sentences from poetry to psychic are present there. Now take a look at the word LENT in any other learners dictionaries ,do you find any sentences telling you how to use that word natively? No absolutely no! But Cambridge did it for me''...for lent'''_ check.
mjf   Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:19 pm GMT
There appears to be a good number of excellent learner's dictionaries for English. Is anyone out there aware of any similar learner's dictionaries for other languages like French or German?
Awaola Jack   Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:07 pm GMT
You know what? Oxford now has come up with a big, big learners dictionary. It's easily the biggest and obviously not the best yet. Cambridge still rules the waves like England's past.
Sander   Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:15 pm GMT
=>Cambridge still rules the waves like England's past<=

LoL.
Awoala Jack   Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:20 pm GMT
Sanda can you talk more about your knowledge on how England ruled the waves ,historically? Please send me email : oxbridgemodel@yahoo.co.uk
Sander   Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:26 pm GMT
The whole concept of ruling the waves is quite new to me lol.
Sander   Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:28 pm GMT
Awoala Jack, where are you from?
Wvana   Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:14 am GMT
Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary is great,especially the Californian pronunciation

lost [lost, US last] yes yes yes
Guest   Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:45 pm GMT
Look up "cicada" in some learner's dictionarys you have! As far as I know, two dictionarys were wrong. Not the latest edition, hopefully.
praveen   Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:55 pm GMT
hi friends, i m praveen. i m new to this forum. so howz going on.
Bandar   Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:00 pm GMT
Hi buddies! I recommend Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English especially with the CD. It's a marvel! Please, buy it and tell me about the activator -don't forget to thank me later. I've never looked up an excellent dic more than Longman Activator. Although I have all editions of Oxford Advanced Learner's, I prefer Longman now. I don't underestimate Oxford and I know it is an excellent dic but time changes to me.
cicada   Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:37 pm GMT
OALD-6th
<cicada>
"a large insect with transparent wings, common in hot countries, that makes a continuous high sound by rubbing its legs together"

Impossible!