Harry Potter read by Jim Dale

Uriel   Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:18 pm GMT
I tell you, these Californians are up all night! And I didn't get home from work until midnight last night -- couldn't sleep after that!
Candy   Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:24 pm GMT
Uriel, you poor thing! I used to work till 11pm sometimes, and it was impossible to sleep after that - my brain was still buzzing.
Where do you work?
Uriel   Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:56 pm GMT
I work for a vet clinic, and I was on emergency call, so those aren't my usual hours.
translator   Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:55 am GMT
Why is Harry Potter translated from British English into American English?
Is it translated into Canadian English as well? Do Canadians read Harry Potter in 1. British original; 2. American translation?
Many thanks
Uriel   Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:19 am GMT
Because publishers are stupid, and they think kids are even stupider.
Kenna Donk   Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:40 pm GMT
My mommy wouldn't let me read English English :(
DC   Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:12 am GMT
Well, I came to this site from a google search trying to find out why there are different narrators for Harry Potter in the UK and the US (a question I will sadly have to elsewhere to find out...), and have now read some complete and utter tosh from Damian (a bloody scot shouldn't be allowed to comment on the English).

1. Damian's first post about BBC and their homogenising of the various British accents was pretty much on the money. But RP (received pronunciation) is actually what the BBC tried to create. RP is supposed to be a neutral, unaccented version of the English language. It is currently taught to all drama students (who are interested), although it is no longer a necessity for an actor as there way too many about and there are plenty that speak RP, so all those that cant speak it will be excluded from certain roles. The BBC actually failed somewhat, as their heirarchical politics meant that a heightened version of RP became their early standard. Heightened RP is essentially what most people in Britain call 'posh'. The royal family speak with a heightened RP, as do most of the British aristocracy, and many people educated at the more expensive private schools.

2. RP spoken well, is what you hear the good British stage actors speak today (Ian McKellan, Richard Harris, Alan Rickman, Patrick Stewart, etc.). There is (broadly) a northern and a southern RP. The most distict difference is in the 'a' sound: a southern RP speaker would say the word 'bath' sounding like 'heart', whereas a northern RP speaker would say bath like 'math'. Of course, most non RP accents have the same 'a' sound difference.

3. And as for the complete tripe that Damian wrote about:-

'I think it's only older English people from certain social backgrouds that "speak posh". You can bet that their grandkids have "downgraded" from that accent now...'

As an actor living in London, I can promise you that because I speak with a slightly heightened natural RP, I am the envy of many of my actor friends. It is quite difficult to replicate the accent if you haven't been brought up with it, and I make good money training people to speak 'posh'. It is very much in demand in certain circles - and I know many non-actors with heightened RP accents who aren't from a particularly priveleged background that love their accent and wouldn't downgrade it for the world!

4. If anyone knows why there are 2 different HP narrators, I'd be very grateful if they could tell me.

Phew....
Uriel   Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:16 am GMT
Hey -- don't be talking smack about our Damian! Only WE can do that...
Google   Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:06 pm GMT
Does anybody here speak Welsh?
Damian   Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:52 am GMT
Hey - thanks for your support URIEL.....I owe you one. OK we have a good arrangement here.....you can talk smack about me and I can correct your (rare) spelling errors.....haven't seen one since desiccate.

As for our English London Thespian with his ever so English heightened RP naturals I can understand his resentment toward upstart "bloody scots" (sic). We do have the habit of popping up where we're nae welcome...centuries of practice.

I try to desist from talking "tosh" but I cannae help it......it just comes out. As Mr DC Thespian (assuming I have the gender correct) is fully trained (another assumption) s/he will be aware of the vast range of regional accents/terms/expressions etc..etc...that we have in these blessed islands of ours. If not, I will just inform him/her that here in Bonnie Scotland the word "tosh" actually means neat and trim and tidy!

Tosh in the sense s/he meant is never, ever used up here....to me it sounds like something out of Eton or Harrow or some other elitist educational establishment. Perhaps at a push our own Fettes College here in Edinburgh where one "old boy" was a guy called Tony Blair......say nae mair.

:-)

Don't you just LOVE the River Tweed......! LOL
Uriel   Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:30 am GMT
Trust me, the more I read of that other page, the more I like MY town's river, too!
Damian in Alba   Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:49 pm GMT
Which river is that? The Rio Grande or I am way out? Is it some "great divide" as well?

Bet you don't have a Hadrian's Wall as an additional back up defence though! It's been there for 2,000 years, still in really good nick, yet still the Sassenachs manage to clamber over it and dog paddle across the Tweed. There's just no way to keep the b%*@"*#s out! :-)

nah....they're more than welcome to come up to us "bloody scots" and see how life really SHOULD be lived! LOL
Uriel   Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:28 pm GMT
Yeah, I live a few minutes drive from the Rio Grande. And right now, wonder of wonders, there's even some water in it.
Candy   Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:42 pm GMT
<<There's just no way to keep the b%*@"*#s out! :-) >>

Not even the barbed wire, slavering guard dogs, etc etc?? ;-)
No, you're right, Damian, Hadrian's Wall really needs fixing to stop all us Sassenach ba*tards from reaching the Promised Land!! All of thousands and thousands of the miserable wretches every year, wailing to be let in!
LOL!!

(BTW, is slavering a real word, or did I just make it up?)
Damian   Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:05 pm GMT
Hee hee.....just imagine it...the River Tweed WITHOUT any water! That really, really would be global warming induced climate change in extremis! Our lovely English fiends would literally walk it into the Promised Land with CANDY taking on the role of Lady Moses. ooops.....I just noticed an unfortunate spelling error in the last sentence.....I think I'll leave it unchanged! :-)

Aye....slavering is a real word ....nae.....you didnae make it up. Dribbling and slobbering... what I do just before I aet my scran or when I.....................

[The rest of the message has been censored]