Mike - The Sample

Mike   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:30 pm GMT
So I'll be a linguist in a future. My specialization is to be an interpreter, or a teacher. Also I'll get an opportunity to be a teacher. I study 2 languages, also I'll start studying Latin soon :))) I'm 18, and I'm on the second course, I have a lot of things to work on, and that's great!!!!!!!
I hope I'll be able to communicate using German in 2-3 years!!!
candyapple   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:36 pm GMT
Und Sie haben zu mir gesagt, dass du kein Deutsch spricht! ):/ >>

Sander, das habe ich ganz bestimmt nie geschrieben!! Check upthread (or another one - I definitely said I speak German)
Why a mixture of 'du' and 'Sie'? Shall we agree to duzen?? And shouldn't that be "dass du kein Deutsch sprichSt'"??

Hi Mike, good luck with your German studies! And I really mean it - I'll do my best to help you, if I can!
Yes, I'm from England! The Lake District, to be specific - it's a national park in the north-west of England. Very beautiful!
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:37 pm GMT
Oops! That was me above - 'candyapple' is a silly alternative name!!
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:41 pm GMT
Yes,

Say, why arren't you posting on the other forum?! ;)
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:43 pm GMT
aren't, not arren't, Sander!
Tell you the truth, forgot all about it! ;) Will try to check it out tomorrow - got to go do some work on my novel now!!
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:46 pm GMT
Right, your novel... how could I forget... ;)
Mike   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:47 pm GMT
no, it's not silly, it sounds cool :)))

I want to ask you, I heard the speech of Dave Gahan (the leader of Depeche Mode, who's originally English, he grew up in Basildon) and i noticed the way he pronounce the words like "baby", "maybe", etc. it sounds like "miby", "biby", etc. how to explain this?
Mike   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:50 pm GMT
Oopss, he pronounces, of course )))
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:03 pm GMT
Right, your novel... how could I forget... ;) >>
hehehe, when I'm a rich and famous author you won't be able to forget!!

Hi Mike! Nice conversation we're having today! Not sure if I can explain WHY people say 'biby' etc - it's just a (well-known) part of their speech. This accent is often known as Estuary English and I'm sure there are people posting here who know far more about it than I do! It's also a feature of Cockney - have you seen the film 'My Fair Lady'? And, a feature of Australian English - there's a famous Australian joke:
Badly wounded soldier in hospital: 'Nurse, was I brought here to die?'
Nurse: 'No, love, you were brought here yester-die!'
Mike   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:15 pm GMT
yeah, I saw that movie. And I like it!!!

oh, there are so many dialects in AmE and BrE! It's so interesting, and I love to study different dialects, accents, whatever ... but it takes a lot of time to study it, but it brings me a joy ...
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:18 pm GMT
it brings me a joy ... >>
Great to hear, Mike!
Did you get the joke?!
Mike   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:24 pm GMT
Sure, I did
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:26 pm GMT
Goood!!
Are there many dialects or regional differences in Russian?
Mike   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:48 pm GMT
mmm .. a good one ...

honestly, there are some, but it differs very very slightly ...

there are contryside accents! oh, man, that's something :))) old people have their own accent (bad accent to my ear), many teens speak the same ....

Basically, everything depends on a man's education. If a man is literate, he'll sound normal and general ... If you get any questions on Russian, I'll answer you :))))
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:52 pm GMT
I'd love to ask you some questions on Russian, but I'm going to leave it for another time - I share the computer and it's time to give it up...:(
Speak to you soon, Mike!