English Examination part II

Sander   Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:22 pm GMT
I was intriged by Romanians 'meticulous exam' of the English language, and there people said that the 'lower'the level of the text is, the less romantic loanwords are present.

Therefore I have selected 3 text ,of various difficulty...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Text 1)
*Physics* and *space*:

*Space* is one of the few *fundamental* *quantities* in *physics* meaning it can't be *defined* *via* other *quantities* because there is nothing more *fundamental* known at *present*. Thus,*similar* to the *definition* of other *fundamental* *quantities*(like time and mass), *space* is *defined* *via* *measurement*.

In *classical* *physics*, *space* is a three-*dimensional* *Euclidean* *space* where any *position* can be *described* using three *coordinates*. *Relativistic* *physics* *examines* *space*time rather than *space*; *space*time is *modeled* as a four-*dimensional* manifold, and *currently*, there are *theories* that can *support* even eleven-*dimensional* *spaces*.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Text 2)
Whaling:

For *centuries* large whales have been hunted for oil, meat, baleen and *ambergris* (a *perfume* *ingredient* from the *intestine* of sperm whales). Until the middle of the 20th *century*, whaling left many *populations* nearly or fully *extinct*. The *International* Whaling *Commission* *introduced* an open ended *moratorium* on all *commercial* whaling in 1986. For various reasons some *exceptions* to this *moratorium* *exist*; *current* whaling *nations* are Norway, Iceland and Japan and the *aboriginal* *communities* of Siberia, Alaska and northern Canada. For *details*, see whaling.
(Text 3)
Football:

Football is a ball game played between two teams of eleven players, each attempting to win by scoring more goals than their *opponent*. Football is played *predominantly* with the feet, but players may use any part of their body *except* their hands and arms to *propel* the ball; the *exceptions* to this are the two goalkeepers, who are the only players *allowed* to handle the ball in the field of play.

The sport is also known by other names in some parts of the English-speaking world, usually soccer or *association* football. These names are also used to *distinguish* the game from other *codes* of football, since the word "football" is used to *refer* to *several* quite *different* games.
Please correct the words I've forgotten or the ones I have mistaken for Romantic loanwords.But I think the point has been made.
But if that's true, does it mean that the Germanic words are only usefull for discussion and articles of 'low inteligence'? I mean , as seen here above, the 'higher' the subject the more Latin based words you need.

I find this a bit strange, because in Dutch or German you can easily go into a 'high class' discussion without using much romance words... it seems that , put simply... the Germanic part is mostly the 'undeveloped part' and the Romance part the 'more developed' part of the vocabulary...or even more blundly 'stupid and smart'.If you know what I mean.

Is'nt this strange?! ;-)
The Swede   Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:05 pm GMT
No, It´s not strange because before the Middle Ages English was influenced of Germanic words but during the Middel Ages grew it up a nobilitygroup who used French-Latin words and also the Church had a powerful possition in the society. The priests read their psalms and texts in Latin. The lowerclass people saw priests and the rich people as a people with higher status and if they wanted to comming closer to them, why not speak their language?
Sander   Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:21 pm GMT
I know that, but the point is that the higher you get, the Latin influence increases dramatically. I have the feeling that this is a pretty much English feature.
Trawick   Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:29 pm GMT
"Please correct the words I've forgotten or the ones I have mistaken for Romantic loanwords.But I think the point has been made."

These words:

Reason
mass
in
use
large
oil

... are all derived from French or Latin.
Vera   Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:46 pm GMT
Is Romantic the right word here? Isn't it better to say Romanic (loan word) ?
The Swede   Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:00 pm GMT
I think he ment Romanic.
Sander   Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:04 pm GMT
Trawick,

Thanks , although 'in' is not Romantic of origine.

Vera,

Romantic (in this context) , romance , are all words to indicate Romantic/Romance languages.

'Romanic' is not an excisting word ;-)
Sander   Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:21 pm GMT
Sorry, 'existing' .
Jeb   Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:30 pm GMT
"Part" and "attempt" are also from Latin.
Vera   Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:39 pm GMT
Sorry, Sander, the word 'Romanic' does exist. Oxford Dictionary's comment on it is "noun, less common term for ROMANCE". I just happend to know the less common form, since it is more concordant with the related Russian word.

Thank you, anyway. Now I know the both.
Sander   Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:22 pm GMT
Really? :)

The cambridge dictionary said it didn't!
Vera   Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:56 pm GMT
Here we've accidentally found another Am.-vs.-Brit. difference. :)
Sander   Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:59 pm GMT
Really? Isn't Oxford in Britain? /:)
The Swede   Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:00 pm GMT
Sander, there are many places called Oxford in the world but the most knowned is the English Oxford, at least for us Europeans.
Sander   Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:20 pm GMT
LOL, I only now it from the uni there and inspector morse. :)\