learning foreign languages at primary/elementary school

Ivor   Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:36 pm GMT
I believe that most people think that starting to learn a language as soon as possible, or at the latest at elementary school, but what are the specific reasons why young children should be considered better language learners than, say, adults. Is it psychological? Is it physiological? It is mental? Or is it a combination of all those factors and more?
Sigma   Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:48 pm GMT
I heard its a natural ability of the memory to be more effcient and also the ability of make sounds in a natural way which decrease with the years.

Also it will help to master the language in a better way.
So younger better
Sander   Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:03 pm GMT
I think it shouldn't be too early.Because then kids might mix things up.
Easterner   Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:05 pm GMT
I agree with Sigma. Young children pick up the language more easily, especially if they are taught in a playful way, and are more open to absorb the peculiarities of the language (including the sounds special to a given language). This ability tends to decrease in adulthood, most adults tend to be more self-conscious (admitting for exceptions, of course).

In my opinion, the best age to start learning a foreign language systematically is between the age of 6-10, when children are very receptive intellectually, but the foundation work can even be started at the later kindergarten age, i.e. at 4-5. I started learning English at 8, and I feel that learning it was more natural and spontaneous than learning German and French, which I started learning at 13 and 15 years of age, respectively.
Xatufan   Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:18 pm GMT
I started learning English when I was 3 and French when I was 12 or 13 (I'm 15 right now). However, I feel that I speak French better than English. I don't know why. I think it is because I haven't learned anything new in English for the last 3 years, but I study French every week!

Otra cosa: I think that children are so fascinated with a new language that they might stop talking in their native language! That happened to my cousin, because her native language is Spanish but she only speaks in English!
damselindistress   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:57 pm GMT
i m doing a project for school trying to prove that it is easier to learn french at an older age(garde 4) any help??
Tiffany   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:49 pm GMT
I started to learn Spanish when I was six and then nine consecutive years hence... Then I took Italian in college, met an Italian man, married him. My Italian is now light years ahead of my Spanish. Why? I chalk it up to motivation.

My Spanish was a big help though, which at the same time was a hindrance. Because both Spanish and Italian are romance languages I immediately saw smilarities and this helped me get off to a fast start. But because I took the similarities for granted and applied them to everything (which was a big big mistake) it held me back. I had to teach myself to think in Italian when speaking Italian because using Spanish wasn't helping!
Heehee   Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:20 am GMT
To Sander:

You wrote "I think it shouldn't be too early.Because then kids might mix things up."

Well, from age 2 onwards, I was taught / spoken to in English, Mandarin, and Cantonese all at the same time. I can speak all three fluently now. Did I ever mix them up? Perhaps, but with time, I sorted everything out and I think I wouldn't be as fluent at all three if I hadn't started so early.