Need help teaching young children English?

mojo   Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:51 pm GMT
Hi all, I'm just beginning an after-school curriculum teaching 6-11 year olds English. I am also just beginning my own professional teaching career in the public school system in elementary and special education in Louisiana, USA. I've researched many methods for teaching second languages but I don't have any personal experience teaching English as a second language- I'd like to get input from those of you who have "been in the trenches" and have learned English as a second language starting at a young age. What was difficult for you as a young child, learning English? Looking back, how could your teachers have been more helpful? My class of 12 international students come from non-native American families whose parents are mostly students or professors at the local univeristy. The only requirements for my students to be eligible for this English class is that their parents are also students in the adult classes offered through the same program.

Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated!
Guest   Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:36 pm GMT
In my understanding, disagreement of spelling and pronunciation is a huge problem. Learners have to encounter many words they do not know. When they try to learn how to pronounce words, spelling system is a barrier. Anyway, long vowels and short vowels in pairs, the magic E effect, and consonant doubling! These are not everything, but vital.

IPA has been used in many dictionaries. As an adult, however, I find macron and breve also helpful.