On the meaning of the term "Gallic" in English spe

Latin-Anglo-American   Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:51 am GMT
countries. "Gallic" is used the same way "Anglo-Saxon" is. It usually transcends nationality and political boundaries, and is more of an ethnic, or cultural term. Just as Americans, Canadians, and Australians are sometimes referred to as Anglo-Saxon peoples, so are the people of France and Quebec, and Haiti, and so forth.

We use Anglo-Saxon in place of English, because it was the ancient name of the English. Likewise, we use Gallic in place of French, for the same reason. It's very common in English to use Gallic as an adjective, such as a "Gallic shrug", or a "Gallic nose", etc.

I posted this so as to avoid confusion with other posters.
Latin-Anglo-American   Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:11 pm GMT
wow, that's interesting.
Latin-Anglo-American   Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:41 pm GMT
I think the Greek name is more appropriate. French means one of Francia, or in other words, a Frank. Being that the Franks were outnumered 20 to 1 by the Gauls, such a name is misleading.
fab   Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:06 am GMT
the name of a country is just a name given by historical events
"France" is etymologically refering to a germanic tribe doesn't mean that French would be Franks.

The same way "catalunya" found its name from "gothalunia- the land of goths", also a germanic tribe. Nobody would think that Catalan people who live in Barcelona are Germanic.

A lot of American states have native indian names; That doesn't mean that Americans are native indians.
Latin-Anglo-American   Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:53 am GMT
I'm not saying it does, Mr. Critical.

I think this is what your insecure self needs... "Fab is God. Bow down and worship Fab."
Guest   Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:22 am GMT
" I'm not saying it does, Mr. Critical.
I think this is what your insecure self needs... "Fab is God. Bow down and worship Fab. "

No, you don't understand; I just like discussion and dialectic. We french people we like that, defending and confronting ideas in a passionate way. I think that is a quite latin thing. Don't take it bad - it is nothing against you, you have the right not being agree. But I'd like to hear your arguments, that will make the discussion more interesting.
Benjamin   Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:40 am GMT
You know, I've actually never heard the term 'Gallic' used in the way that's being described here before. Maybe it's more or an American thing.
Benjamin   Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:43 am GMT
*more of an American thing.
LAA   Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:39 pm GMT
Yeah, it's often used in the literary sense, although you don't normally hear newscasters speak of "Anglo-Saxons" either.

One author, you might be familiar with, is James Clavell. He uses the word quite often.

If you've ever seen "The Last of the Mohicans", which takes place during the French and Anglo battle for North America. A British colonel says, "When you combine their Gallic laziness with their voluptuousness, the result is a people who would rather make love with their faces than fight a war."
Benjamin   Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:15 pm GMT
I think the issue with the term 'Anglo-Saxon' used in a modern context in English is that it is reminiscent of Anglo-Saxonism — a racist ideology from about 100 years ago which was sometimes linked to the Christian Identity Movement (which believed that Northern Europeans in general were the direct descendants of Jesus Christ or something equally ridiculous).
LAA   Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:28 pm GMT
I've never heard that before, but it does and mainly "did" carry racial conotations. For instance, Lord Chamberlain, an Englishman, and Hitler, a German, both attributed France's low birthrate in the first half of the 20th century to racial inferiority, because the people were not Germanic. I forget what exactly they said, but it was something to do with "Gallic inferiority". This notion was disproved by the fact that the people of Quebec had the one of the highest birthrates in the world.
Benjamin   Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:17 pm GMT
I'm very ashamed of Lord Chamberlain for saying that, because he was a Unitarian. Perhaps the phrase 'we affirm and promote the inherent worth and dignity of every person' was not central to the Unitarian Movement at that time.
LAA   Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:23 pm GMT
Another common example would be the "Gallican Church", which was, and still is sometimes, used in place of the "French Church".
greg   Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:21 am GMT
Oui, le gallicanisme aurait pu devenir schismatique au lieu de quoi la papauté s'est d'abord déplacée en Avignon puis, plus tard, une fois revenue à Rome, ce sont les rois de France qui ont tenté d'avoir la main sur la haute administration écclésiastique en France. Le comble de l'abaissement papal a été atteint lors de l'autocouronnement de Napoléon, le pape (Pie je ne sais plus quel numéro) faisant alors figure de plante verte.
LAA   Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:43 am GMT
Wow, I understand about 40% of what you said in French! Mon Francais obtient de meilleurs mercis a ma petite amie. Elle est Francais-Canadien.