Berkeley

Guest   Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:04 am GMT
How do you pronounce Berkeley? Use Tom's transcription.
Deborah   Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:17 am GMT
'be:rk li:

(I'm referring to the Berkeley that's across the bay from San Francisco, California.)
Guest   Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:39 am GMT
I am asking for UC Berkeley which is an University. My older brother studies there and my visa interview for F1 is due on wednesday so Visa Officer can ask about what he is doing in USA. So atleast I should know how to pronounce Berkeley. I just don't want to leave a wrong impression because of my wrong pronunciation.

Thanks for your help.
Kirk   Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:45 am GMT
<<I am asking for UC Berkeley which is an University. My older brother studies there and my visa interview for F1 is due on wednesday so Visa Officer can ask about what he is doing in USA. So atleast I should know how to pronounce Berkeley. I just don't want to leave a wrong impression because of my wrong pronunciation. >>

Oh, yes, then the pronunciation Deborah gave is the one you want. Good luck on your interview!
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:48 am GMT
Berkeley:

['Ba:r kli:]

As in Berkeley Square just off Piccadilly in London W1 - where a nightingale sings in a song. I may be right or I may be wrong but it's such a romantic affair, and like an echo in the breeze a nightingale sang in Berkeley Square.

As in Berkeley Castle in Gloucestershire, England, where the unfortunate King Edward II was imprisoned in 1327 and where he suffered an agonising death involving a red hot poker insertion. A poker in this case is a metal rod with a handle which people used to use for stirring the burning coals or logs in the days of open fires. They still do in those pubs which still have burning log fires on the hearths as part of their general Olde Worlde ambience.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:54 am GMT
Ooops...sorrry but I jumped the gun before I saw the posts folliwng Deborah's which was the last one on the board when I posted. Forgive my intrusion.

Disregard my post as it has no American involvement. I know the Americans pronounce Berkeley their own way, like they do with Berkshire, which they have every entitlement to do so. It's just that the British versions where in existence yonks upon yonks before modern day America was a premature gleam in the eyes of the Mayflower passengers.
'be:rk li:

Best of luck at 'Be:rk li:
Travis   Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:01 am GMT
Around here in southeastern Wisconsin, Berkeley is pronounced ["bR=kL\i:]; of course, then, that is not necessarily the pronunciation used in Berkeley itself.
Travis   Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:03 am GMT
Oh, by the way, the transcription I was using above was using X-SAMPA, which one can find information on at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA

(Also, Tom's system is quite inadequate for any serious transcription of any sort. Really.)
Bonnie Zhang   Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:29 pm GMT
"I'm referring to the Berkeley that's across the bay from San Francisco, California."

"I am asking for UC Berkeley which is an University."

Um... that's the SAME Berkeley!!
You really ought to know that UC Berkeley is across the bay from San Francisco if your brother is studying there. Fancy not knowing the location of your brother's university :p. *patpatpat*
Guest   Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:23 pm GMT
I am too lazy to find the exact location of my brother's university. Also reading the locations of different American universities can mess up your mind big time. Each American university is located near ocean, bay or sea..whatever! I can't simply remember the location of each university! I am sure I must have read the location of UC Berkeley in wikipedia but as I have said earlier it is very difficult to remember their locations!
It is one of few universities of which physicsts designed hydrogen and atom bombs. Anyways, VO is not gonna ask me about the location. He or she has to handle many applicants per day so they are not gonna spend more than five minutes on each applicant.

However, I ought to know the location of my brother's university :) ..I am a bad brother!!!!
Uriel   Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:43 am GMT
Berkeley is across the SF Bay from San Francisco. About halfway up the California coast. Wonderful city, great university. Very laid-back, liberal, and unique.

Incidentally, according to my philosophy professor, the city of Berkeley ("Berkly") was named after the philosopher Berkeley, whose name is properly pronounced as "Barkley". Hopefully that brings this discussion full circle!
Kirk   Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:42 pm GMT
<<Berkeley is across the SF Bay from San Francisco. About halfway up the California coast. Wonderful city, great university. Very laid-back, liberal, and unique.>>

Yes, Berkeley is a great place. You can't beat its location right on the Bay just across from SF and there are always interesting/weird/unique people and things going on!

<<Incidentally, according to my philosophy professor, the city of Berkeley ("Berkly") was named after the philosopher Berkeley, whose name is properly pronounced as "Barkley". Hopefully that brings this discussion full circle!>>

Altho even as tolerant and open-minded as people in Berkeley might believe themselves to be even they would not tolerate someone calling their city "Barkley." :)
John   Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:55 pm GMT
Berk - Lee

sounds like Birth
Native Korean   Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:00 am GMT
http://endic.naver.com/endic.nhn?docid=109440

Go to the website and click the sound icon "◀))발음듣기" right beside the word "Berkeley"
then you can listen to native speaker's pronunciation!

by the way, as some people pointed out in the above, UC Berkeley and the Berkeley across the bay from San Francisco is the same Berkeley.

Check these out!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_California%2C_Berkeley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley%2C_California
Dude Who Knows   Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:07 am GMT
<I am too lazy to find the exact location of my brother's university. Also reading the locations of different American universities can mess up your mind big time. Each American university is located near ocean, bay or sea..whatever! I can't simply remember the location of each university! I am sure I must have read the location of UC Berkeley in wikipedia but as I have said earlier it is very difficult to remember their locations!>

The reason the school's name is often shortened to "Berkeley" is because it's located in Berkeley! The official name of the university is the "University of California, Berkeley", meaning it's the campus of the University of California system located in Berkeley. Other UC campuses include UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles), UC Davis (University of California, Davis), UCI (University of California, Irvine), UCSD (University of California, San Diego) et cetera.

Also, the US is home to 284 universities and they are not all located near water.