How do you pronounce ''clothes''?

Candy   Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:45 pm GMT
I agree with Uriel - in statements 'shall' sounds archaic. I would only ever use it in questions, in the first person: 'shall I open the window?' 'shall we dance?' I'm British, by the way.
Travis   Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:56 pm GMT
"Shall" is not normally used in speech at least here, *but* I myself do use it time to time in expressions, and in particular for effect, as today it often has more force, precisely because of its being very formal due to being relatively archaic, than the normal "will" and "to be going to" and things derived from such. For examples, it is often used in places you "<someone> shall <action>", "<someone> shall not <action>", "... <someone/something> who shall remain unnamed", "shall I/we <action>?", so on and so forth. In formal writing and speech I probably use "shall" more than at least most NAE-speakers, even though even I do not use it at all in informal (that is, most) speech unless I intend it for specific force, effect, or emphasis. If I'm feeling particular biblical and am speaking very forcefully, and probably are also being sort of silly as well, I might use "thou shalt" rather than "you shall", but that I don't actually do often at all in practice.
aja   Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:58 pm GMT
what the idferences between i wana and i want and when we say i beg your parden and wen we use excuse
me
Deborah   Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:41 am GMT
aja, "I wanna" and "I want to" mean the same thing. "Wanna" is not a standard English word -- it's simply a way of writing "want to" to show how people in the US commonly pronounce "want to".
Candy   Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:50 am GMT
The same as "I'm gonna" reflects the common pronunciation of 'I'm going to'.
Uriel   Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:56 am GMT
"Excuse me" is a lot more common and all-purpose than "I beg your pardon", which is usually either formal and somewhat old-fashioned, or sarcastic.
Jim   Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:39 am GMT
It's always /kl@{Dz/ in Australian English. The dropping of the /D/ was one of the things that struck me when I went to Canada. I remember hearing it on an ad. To my ears it sounded as if the woman had a speech impediment.

As for "shall", I used to use it often but it's not common in Australia except for when making suggestions, e.g. "Shall we go?", "Shall I open the window?", etc.
Kirk   Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:55 am GMT
<<As for "shall", I used to use it often but it's not common in Australia except for when making suggestions, e.g. "Shall we go?", "Shall I open the window?", etc.>>

Yeah, same here.

<<It's always /kl@{Dz/ in Australian English. The dropping of the /D/ was one of the things that struck me when I went to Canada. I remember hearing it on an ad. To my ears it sounded as if the woman had a speech impediment. >>

I think it might've been mentioned here before but apparently "close" for "clothes" has commonly been a pronunciation of the word in various English dialects altho the influence of spelling has meant the /Dz/ has returned for some speakers.

For those who say "close" it doesn't seem to be indicative of a general /Dz/ drop as people who say [klo(U):z] for "clothes" still have [be(I):Dz] for "bathes" or [saI:Dz] for "scythes." Interestingly, I just noticed I have [klo_c:z] for "clothes" the noun and [klo_c:Dz] for the verb. This is probably due to the fossilized pronunciation of "clothes" phonemically analyzed for me as /klo_cz/ while the verb is underlyingly /klo_cD/ plus the third-person singular ending.
Chris   Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:07 am GMT
>> whats the difference b/w the usage of 'WILL' & 'SHALL' ?? <<
Well, at least for me, I use shall for "I" and "we", and "will" for the rest. I hear lots of speakers using "will" for "I" and "we", but that sounds really strange.