can you help me undersand this?

italian girl   Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:52 pm GMT
This is an excerpt from the lyrics of a gospel song, could you explain me what the first line refers to?

Pressed down, shaken together and running over
Jesus made a way for me, open many doors I could not see... etc.

who is the subject and what's the meaning of the first line? Thanks for your help.
american nic   Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:05 pm GMT
The subject is Jesus, but I can't tell what it means, although I'm guessing it's refering to his crucifixion.
Uriel   Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:26 am GMT
Actually, I don't think you can tell from that small excerpt what the subject is. A single person cannot be "shaken together."
italian girl   Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:55 am GMT
Thanks for your replies. The first part of the song doesn't seem related to that line.
It says:

I know that we will never part
how I thank you from my heart
blessings abundantly
you keep makin' a way for me
Pressed down, shaken together and running over, Jesus etc.. (John P. Kee)

Do you have other ideas?
Gjones2   Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:40 am GMT
I get the impression that the writer is trying to convey the idea that God will provide help to those to need it (or at least that God provided help to him). The "Pressed" metaphor, though, seems clumsy and out of place to me. A better expression of a similar idea can be found in Psalms 23 -- "The Lord is my shepherd: I shall not want."

The song's image about "Pressed down, shaken together and running over" is taken from the Bible: "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over...." [Luke 6:38] In interpreting this image, I picture grain or some other commodity being measured out in a cup. To make sure that the maximum amount is included, the grain is pressed down and shaken together, and the cup is filled until it's running over (they didn't distribute food in cans or sealed plastic bags back then :-).

Here's a longer excerpt from a net version of the song:

Turn Around

Chorus 1:
I know that we [God and I] will never part,
oh how I thank You [God] from my heart.
Blessings abundantly,
You [God] keep making a way for me.

Chorus 2:
Pressed down, shaken together and running over;
[Grammatically there's nothing here to show what's being pressed down, shaken together and running over, or what this passage has to do with the theme of the song. Only the full Biblical passage shows the connection with the idea that God will provide.]
Jesus made a way for me,
opened many doors I could not see.
He [Jesus] made a way for me.

Verse 1:
I was down to my very last dime, He [God or Jesus] did it
(He [Jesus] made a way).
Lord, You [God] stepped in on time, You [God] did it for me,
(He [Jesus] made a way).
Jaime   Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:09 pm GMT
this is a reference to this passge in Luke 6:38 in which Jesus says:

If you give, you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full measure, pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, and running over. Whatever measure you use in giving – large or small – it will be used to measure what is given back to you."

so what is being pressed down, shaken together, and running over is the gift that is being returned in full measure and then some.