Advice on improving my terrible listening skills.

OCCASVS   Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:29 am GMT
Hello,
I'm an Italian 16 years old boy and I've been studying English for 8 years.

During these years, I've seldom listened to native English speakers.
My auricular nerves haven't worked well since I was 3, too. So I may not understand some badly and too fastly pronounced words/sentences in my native language.

My problem is that I understand the 3-5% of what I hear in English (radio, TV, conversations, etc.), although I understand the 85-100% of an English text (articles, howtos, emails, forum posts, newspapers, computer science books, etc.).

In your opinion, how can I start improving my listening skills? Have you had this problem? Listening slow-paced radio speeches? Playing games with subtitles?

P.S. If notice some errors in my post, tell me, please :)
elina   Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:53 pm GMT
first of all try to listen to some english tapes it would be better if the speakers in the tapes are talking slowly try to understand what they r sayin listen to the tapes over and over till u partly understand its content . -it would take u a bit long time.this way will help u alot . besides , chatting with a native speaker would also help .
Boy   Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:54 pm GMT
It is also a good idea to listen to your favorite radio programmes or watch Tv shows on a daily basis. When you take interest in something, your mind is deeply engaged in that thing. Watching "friends" sitcom and "Reality Tv" shows had improved my listening skills a great deal. The key to success in anything is regularity. Listen or watch your favorite English programmes daily over the months and there should be no long gaps between your listening activities. I am sure you'll see a noticeable improvement in your listening skills. It is all about doing things rather than reading through tips. Be practical and don't slouch!
memo2003_978@yahoo.com   Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:27 am GMT
all what they have said to you was correct , because i faced like your problem in the listening skill.

as you know that the best way to improve that , in my point of view, is watching english programs. especially that which can make conversations with oyher people.

i notice from my experiences that most people who want to learn the languege ,listen to these programs carefully , and this is a big mistake.

you sould first - if you are watching the show for the first time- to listen in a general way , and then day after day you can be more concentrated in this show. by the time , you can see your self that your listening is more better than before.

aloso , the same thing for conversation , try not to focus on ones language, but contact with him/her in general , and as i said by the time you will find your self that you have many stored sentences.

the last important thing , and its so important, dont learn any word without puting it at least in short sentences.

go ahead.... i wish you the better.......be in touch and tell me your noticeable improvment..

good luck::