English vs. Frisian Test.

Adam   Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:45 pm GMT
I can imagine Sander, right now - eating Edam, smoking dope and getting (well, he's Dutch) wearing colourful clogs, meeting a few prostitutes befire bed time (that's normal in Holland), hoping that Holland will eventually win the World Cup before the end of the Century, hoping that the dykes (not the prostitute ones) don't start leaking.
Sander   Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:46 pm GMT
The same?!

d'ierde = earth

eare = honour (it's a bloody roman word you retard!)

Dyn = Your

=>Tchiise - Cheese and Twolve - Twelve <= weren't even in the text.
Sander   Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:47 pm GMT
=>I can imagine Sander, right now - eating Edam, smoking dope and getting (well, he's Dutch) wearing colourful clogs, meeting a few prostitutes befire bed time (that's normal in Holland), hoping that Holland will eventually win the World Cup before the end of the Century, hoping that the dykes (not the prostitute ones) don't start leaking.<=

So you do read books!
Candy   Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:48 pm GMT
Adam, you're an Englishman, so you MUST be getting blind drunk right now and starting fights in the streets with strangers - right?
Uriel   Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:03 pm GMT
No, Candy, apparently he POSTS blind drunk and starts fights on the INTERNET with strangers.
Jeb   Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:50 pm GMT
Results of Microsoft Word Spell check:

Frisk blood, smooch up! Wool nourish brush jet in suede
In bonus jet torch us iron on!
Flea up, we song it best land fan dire,
It Frisked land fool eared in room.
Klink dam in diverge fire in it round,
Din alder eared, o Frisked ground!

Torch lofty folk fan dizzy ‬de name,
Was jimmied op day all day in great.
Blue ivy fan day graze hedges stammer
In green, in ratfish doorjamb leapt.
Klink dam en diverge fire in it round,
Din alder eared, o Frisked ground!

So the ones it got right as a possible match were "best", "grien", "fire", "song", "up", "land", "in" and "round". Also, "folk" was unchanged, and "great" was unchanged, though I'm guessing that, in Frisian, that's the word for ancestors (like English "great-grandfather").

Interestingly, about 2/3 of the way through the spell check, MS-Word decided the text was German, told me it didn't have a German dictionary, and gave up. I had to manually set the document language to English to get it to continue.
Egbert (a real Frisian)   Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:45 pm GMT
(I'm not that very good in English, so perhapse there are some badly written words.)

perhapse he is right, for example the word key in frisian is KAY pronounced as "key", and if you pronounce the frisian text in the real way, you will find out that It olmost sounds the same.
Tiffany   Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:51 pm GMT
Almost the same as what? How it's written or English? And your English is better than you think it is.
Sander   Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:00 pm GMT
Egbert,

Ben je een westfries oder ein Ostfriese?
Easterner   Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:18 pm GMT
I can see more similarities with both German and to English, but perhaps more with the former. Some examples:

fan d'ierde = von der Erde (although they'd say it without "von")
eare en rom = Ehre und Ruhm
bliuw = bleib'
kreftich = kräftig

However, the spelling suggests that "breaking" of the vowels before "r" is also present in Frisian, as it was both in Old English and Modern English (in the non-rhotic dialects). It would perhaps be very instructive to hear the actual spoken text.

On the other hand, if somebody with sufficient knowledge would undertake to translate the text into Old English, there might be a striking resemblance. :)
Guest   Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:15 pm GMT
I think Dutch is *much* easier for English speakers to comprehend without previous knowledge of the language.
Sander   Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:23 pm GMT
Het zal je verbazen hoe de overeenkomsten tussen Engels en Nederlands worden overschat. De overeenkomsten tussen Dutch en Engels zijn veel interresanter.
Sander   Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:24 pm GMT
French is the easiest language for native English speakers to understand without previous knowledge of the language.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm   Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:58 pm GMT
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Guest   Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:24 am GMT
>>French is the easiest language for native English speakers to understand without previous knowledge of the language.<<
No, I think Interlingua is easier ;)