Did Andalusian impact Latin American dialects?

LAA   Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:03 pm GMT
If you can even call them Spanish dialects. They are virtually the exact same thing, except for the whole "vosotros" thing.

I noticed that Mexican accents seem to be much more similar to Andaulsian accents than Castillian. Perhaps most of the Spanish colonizers in the new world were from Andalusia.
Sergio   Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:29 pm GMT
LAA,

Prácticamente TODO el español de América está fuertemente influenciado en su fonética por las variantes andaluzas del español peninsular. Esto no quiere decir que se hable un dialecto andaluz en Latinoamérica, pues tampoco es cierto. Me estoy refiriendo EXLUSIVAMENTE a la fonética.

No en todos lados con la misma fuerza, ni con los mismos rasgos ha afectado el andaluz al español en América, pero de manera general, esta influencia existe de manera innegable y perdura hasta hoy.
LAA   Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:46 pm GMT
Did Greg really say that? Or was it one of those impostors? We really need user registration.

Asi pues, usted esta diciendo que la fonetica de Andalusia efectuo la fonologia de America latina? Ese medio que la mayoria de los colonizadores espanoles eran de alli?
Aldvs   Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:05 pm GMT
I personally think that no accent in Latin America resembles to a Spaniard accent and although I've never heard an Andalusian I'd bet for that.

What countries such Andalucian colonists arrived to and when ?
LAA   Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:31 pm GMT
Well, Latin American accents, most of them anyway, do not resemble Castillian accents. For instance, the "z" in Castillian is pronounced with a "th" sound, while in Andalucia and Latin America it is pronounced much like the English "z", but softer, so that it sort of resembles an English "s". I believe the same goes for some Castillian words with "ch", etc.
LAA   Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:32 pm GMT
Today, Andalucia is the most populous region of Spain. Perhaps the same was true in the 1500s-1800s, or perhaps the local economy did not provide enough opportunity for the people of Andalucia at this time, so that they emigrated to the American colonies more per capita than the people of Castille.
Sergio   Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:37 pm GMT
Aldvs,

Very elegant betting for something you do not have the slightest clue of.
But now that you have bothered to write, the answer goes as follows:

During the Spanish conquest in America, the southern region of Spain (Andalucía) was quite poor, and several young men were seeking for a better future as they wouldn't have much to inherit from her parents. This was an important factor which is responsible for the majority of the Spaniards who traveled to America being from Andalucia. People from other regions in Spain came as well, but they were few in comparison with Andalusians, because the north of Spain was more concerned in its own development. We are talking about the whole XVI Century. The Conquista period.

This happened from the very beginning, and more or less in this order:
1) Caribbean Islands (they settled there and from Cuba they started further expeditions)
2) Today's Mexico and Central America
3) Today's USA up to Mississippi
4) South America, starting through Venezuela to Peru and Bolivia
5) Rio de la Plata region, today's Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay

The conquerers were few, but as rulers, they implanted they language to the native American peoples they conquered. By the time more educated Spaniards came, as rulers or as teachers, the process of expansion of the southern Spanish variant of the language was already set in motion, and never stopped or diminished in favour of the standard Castillian Spanish.

We do not speak like Andalusians, but Andalusian Spanish is the closest variant of all the possible Spanish variants to Latinamerican Spanish.
Nowher in America we pronounce "c" and "z" like in Peninsular Spanish. Neither do so most of today's Andalusians.
In the vast majority of Latinamerica, people do not pronounce the final "s", or even further, intermediate "s" in the words. Direct heritage from Andalucía.
In a similar extension, "d" in much participe endings in the verbs or in adjectives derived from them, is not pronounced. (cansado= "cansao" (tired)). Again the Andalusians speak this very way.

By the way Aldvs, I didn't mean to be rude in my first comment. Don't get me wrong.
Leny   Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:45 pm GMT
Andalusian affected Chilean Spanish so definite article is used with persons' names:

la Maria instead of Maria
el Juan instead of Juan

in colloquial registre
(similar to colloquial German, Catalan, European Portuguese and some dialects of Southern and Southeastern Brazilian Portuguese)
Sergio   Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:47 pm GMT
LAA,

Veo que mientras escribía la respuesta para Aldvs, tú le contestabas lo mismo. Bueno, estamos de acuerdo entonces.

<Asi pues, usted esta diciendo que la fonetica de Andalusia efectuo la fonologia de America latina? Ese medio que la mayoria de los colonizadores espanoles eran de alli? >

Estoy diciendo que la fonética de Andalucía definitivamente INFLUENCIÓ, en algunas partes más, en otras menos, la pronunciación GENERAL del español. La pronunciación en detalles menores, depende más de la educación de cada persona y de la región en la que viva.

Y sí, esto significa que la mayoría de colonizadores eran del sur de España.

LAA, si no me equivoco estás utilizando un traductor para escribirme en español. Si tu dices que tus abuelos eran mexicanos y que no has perdido contacto con el español, te sugiero que lo intentes sin ayuda del traductor.
Sergio   Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:00 pm GMT
Leny,

This happens in many other regions of Latinamerica too. Rural Mexico, many parts of northern Mexico..etc.

On the other side, in rural areas, people speak in a funny way, which most of people think that they just speak bad or wrong spanish. Recently, I was talking to a Spanish friend who live in Mexico, but whose family comes from Asturias. I was astonished as he showed me an Asturian-Castillian dictionary. I found a lot of so-called bad Spanish words spoken by Mexican from the rural areas. It seems that they were speaking a very conservative Spanish, full of words from real Spanish accents, perhaps since 300 hundred years!!!... so this people, far from speaking uneducated Spanish should be rather considering as language museums!!!.. It was quite interesting.
Juno   Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:09 pm GMT
Brennus wrote:

"I've seen a few words in Mexican Spanish that look like they may have originated in León or Galicia.

-->>>>>

Like what words??? Give us an example.
Sergio   Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:22 am GMT
Juno,

Here are my examples.

Like "ansina" instead of "así" ("so", "like that")
Like "truje" instead of "traje" (I brought)

Brennus, which ones are yours?
Aldvs   Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:34 am GMT
Sincerely I think that so few things "in common" are not convincing. Some even have said that they came from Latin what I find much harder to belive.

<<Nowher in America we pronounce "c" and "z" like in Peninsular Spanish. Neither do so most of today's Andalusians.>>

How do linguists know that modern Andalusians spoke the same way more than 500 years ago ?

<<In the vast majority of Latinamerica, people do not pronounce the final "s", or even further, intermediate "s" in the words. Direct heritage from Andalucía.>>

Same question from above. I do pronounce all "s" and in some countries the "s" is replaced by the "j". Do or did the Andalucians have such habit too ?

<<In a similar extension, "d" in much participe endings in the verbs or in adjectives derived from them, is not pronounced. (cansado= "cansao" (tired)). Again the Andalusians speak this very way. >>

Again, I do pronounce the "d" and again see the first question.

<<During the Spanish conquest in America, the southern region of Spain (Andalucía) was quite poor, and several young men were seeking for a better future as they wouldn't have much to inherit from her parents. This was an important factor which is responsible for the majority of the Spaniards who traveled to America being from Andalucia.>>

Spain owned a huge area, the most part, of America for about 300 years, it's hard to believe that ALL the people who moved from Spain to America since XV century were Andalusians, just the people enough to keep those "resemblances". So where's the roll of the enormous amount of immigrants that came to our countries during 500 years ? Do Argentinians sound like Andalusians ? I do bet they don't for sure.

I really don't see the languages like something static and they evolves even in relative short periods of time. Why then are there lots of accents in every country of Latin America ? We don't have 2 identical accents and even inside of every country, no matter how large or small it is, there are lots of variations, absolutely normal for 500 of history.

If such few "resemblances" are taken as "impact" then why really NOT all the Latin American countries share them ?
Sergio   Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:20 am GMT
Aldvs,

I see that you haven't read my post quite well.

1) I never pretended that we speak like Andalusians at all.
2) I never wrote that ONLY Andalusians came here. I said the majority of them, in the crucial moment, when the language expanded and became the language of huge populations of native Americans.
3) I never said, that Andalusian of 500 years ago remained static and unchanged till today, nor Spanish in America did something like that.
4) I mentioned few examples, if you want, but they are the most relevant concerning the phonetic similarities between Latinamerican Spanish varieties and Peninsular Spanish varieties.
5) My point is by the way your point, in sofar, that languages evolve constantly, whitout exception.

Now, to your last point, which is the most important: There are so many accents in Latinamerica because of the huge extension, the geography of the continent, which isolated a number of areas from each other and gave way to specific development. PLUS the immigrants who conformed the population peu à peu were giving a touch to each region.

Still, do not you find remarkable, that even within Latinamerican varieties the changes of the languages remained more homogeneous than within Spain?

A Mexican, an Argentinian and a Venezuelan don't sound like an Andalusian, and they sound very different among each other, but still, from the Peninsular Spanish, the Andalusian phonetics is the closest one to ours, GENERALLY speaking
Aldvs   Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:07 am GMT
<<I see that you haven't read my post quite well.>>

I see you haven't read mine well Sergio.

<<the Andalusian phonetics is the closest one to ours, GENERALLY speaking >>

Again I post this question: how do you know that modern Andalusians spoke the same way 500 years ago ?
You are comparing some aspects of MODERN Latin American Spanish with some aspects of MODERN Andalucian Spanish.

<< My point is by the way your point, in sofar, that languages evolve constantly, whitout exception. >>

So what happened to Andalucian Spanish ?