American Accent

Amanda   Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:43 pm GMT
I work in a call center and deal with Americans. I wish there is something I can do to acquire an american accent. I do technical support for an American company and it's so frustrating when people start complaining about my "heavy accent". It's like once they find out that I am an Asian (because of my accent) all they want to do is to hung up. I'm thinking that maybe if i can get rid of my accent then I'll be able to do more for our clients. Is there something that you can suggest so I can improve the way I speak?
Vytenis   Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:18 pm GMT
Well, I think it might be difficult for some people to develop native-like accent if they are born and raised in a foreign country. Some people do better than the others though. I don't know how capable you are of immitating the sounds of a language which is not native for you. Just try to listen a lot of tapes where native speakers talk. Maybe that will help. Try to concentrate on their pronunciation as you listen and then stop the tape and try repeating the things they say... I am sure this will improve your pronunciation. But then again, the results may differ dramatically depending on a concrete learner...
Ed   Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:19 pm GMT
Ugh, I find it horrible that all those call centers are being outsourced to Asia. Nothing against Asdian people, but I believe that they should stay in the country.
Secondly, I thought you guys were trained in American accent before handling any phone calls. At least, that's what I saw on one TV report.
EU   Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:30 pm GMT
Ed, you dumb fucktard.
Sander   Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:39 pm GMT
Ed I agree, I saw a documentary about Idians in India helping American customers
Rick Johnson   Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:42 pm GMT
Why not try some Yosemite Sam phrases?

Ya dog gone idgit galut

By gar, the critter went and done it.

Twenty years tryin' and ya missed me again. Ya shovel nosed mackrel.

Okay ya fur-bearing carpetbagger, I'm givin' you one second to come out or I'll blow ya out. Time's up.
Uriel   Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:51 pm GMT
Well, Rick, those phrases would certainly sound very arresting in an Indian accent!

Amanda, I think you are caught in an unfortunate crossfire between people who are resentful of "out-sourcing" and the fact that technical assistance calls are inherently tedious for both parties -- plus, the people who are calling you are probably frustrated and angry before they ever pick up the phone, and they take it out on the anonymous voice on the other end of the line, which is of course rude and unfair. Especially when you're trying to HELP them.

I think the best way to learn an American accent, if you really think you must, is to listen to them in movies and TV, and if at all possible, find someone to practice with.
Amanda   Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:29 am GMT
thanks for the replies. not all call centers train their agents. some just try to neutralize the accent. thanks guys! =)
deutscher michel   Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:01 pm GMT
Please have a look at www.deutschermichel.com and let me have your comments on how Germans pronounce English.

Regards,
Michel
Sanja   Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:59 pm GMT
I think people shouldn't judge about you based on your accent. If you provide good services, you are good at your job, your English is correct, then what's the big deal about your accent? It can be only one reason: That they don't like foreigners.

"Nothing against Asian people, but I believe that they should stay in the country."

I don't think that's fair, Ed. How would you feel if they told you that you should have stayed in your country?
Tom K.   Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:34 pm GMT
I think you misunderstood. He's not saying that Asian people should stay in their country, he's saying that jobs like this should stay in the country where the customers are (i.e. the US)
Riko   Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:35 pm GMT
When I first bought my computer (an HP) I had a ton of problems. Whenever you called the customer assistance line, you always got some call center in Chennai with workers that could barely speak English. It is not disliking Indians, but wanting to hear an actual IT associate in the United States who is able to speak North American English clearly. Someone needs to get the job done of fixing the problem at hand. I gave up and just called Canadian HP and got an engineer who spoke native north american english.
Tom K.   Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:37 pm GMT
"If you provide good services, you are good at your job, your English is correct, then what's the big deal about your accent? It can be only one reason: That they don't like foreigners. "

It has nothing to do with liking or not liking foreigners. It's just nearly impossible to understand what these people are saying underneath their thick accents.
Sanja   Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:00 pm GMT
Well, I still think that they should give jobs to foreigners as well, and not only Americans (of course, if those foreigners can speak good English, which has nothing to do with the accent).
AA7   Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:32 am GMT
try listening to tv shows, musics, etc, in english a lot, you'll pick up the american accent if you listen to it daily...

I'm also Asian, and learning English :)

hope that helps...