American Accent

Kappy   Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:29 pm GMT
ok people lets stop beating up on the americans just because they have more privilages. quoting people from before, americans do have dirty jobs. y'all are all gunna have to look past the people making six figures and start looking at the people that make like 4 or 5. perfect examples are truck drivers and teachers. truck drivers get about 30,000 a year and thats if and only if they drive most of the day (not including sundays). and teachers, i think they are way underpaid. they are smarter than most people, Just like electrical engineers, but, like both, they don't get nearly as much money as they should. teachers get about 45,000 a year. so if one were to think about the costs of living in America and then comparing it to salarys of people like teachers, truck drivers, and engineers in general, they are clearly not being paid enough.
another thing. i am not trying to bash Bush or anything, hey, i support him, but plenty of people i know are smarter than him, clinton, nixon, you name it. and they aren't getting enough money. you need to stop saying " oh yeah AMericans are lazy they don't want to do anything but sit on their butts and become obese." and start putting yourself in others position and if you have to go outside the box and look inside.
Jessyca   Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:20 pm GMT
"you need to stop saying " oh yeah AMericans are lazy they don't want to do anything but sit on their butts and become obese.""

Not that we don't have fat people...
Calliope   Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:00 pm GMT
I used to work in a bank's call center (in Greece). One day an American called; he was not a customer really, just a tourist whose credit card got caught in our ATM and was desperate (he had no money on him and the bank was closed for the weekend). He didn't seem to mind my non-native accent seeing that he was in a bad situation; he could however be one of you picky and whiny people on here. I guess I should have demanded he spoke in Greek since, after all, he was in Greece, calling a Greek bank. Right? I think not.

Living in the UK, I have called (as a customer) call centers for info or services more than once. The accent I have the biggest problem with, is the Glasgow one. No offence meant, I just find it really heavy (maybe you'd find mine heavy as well). Now, for those who don't realise, Glasgow is in Scotland, in the UK, and a person with a native Glasgow accent is obviously a native English speaker; trust me, I'd choose his/her Pakistani or Arabic collegue anytime.

I am also against outsourcing, but for completely different reasons than "heavy accents". Outsourcing only benefits the business; both the employees are paid far less than in say, the USA, and the locals have less job opportunities. And the rich, fat guy in the big chair gets richer.
Some Guest   Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:41 am GMT
"...And the rich, fat guy in the big chair gets richer."

Exactly!!! DEATH TO THE FAT RICH GUY!!!!!!!
kappy   Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:55 pm GMT
i agree that if you are in a country you should at least learn to speak the language. heck i have to deal with it everyday. illiterate mexicans cross the border everyday and its annoying having to put up with them. they create crime and they demand money from our government, by the way it is provided by the tax payers who don't get much money back, and they haven't put a cent into it. i understand your frustration.
but also another thing to look at is what is the international languaGE OF BUSINESs? English. i am blessed being an american, and being born to family and friends that speak one of the hardest languages to learn. english still confuses me today. like having to say me and her, her and me, or her and i , etc. life is just a pain in the rear and we all have to put up with it. there will be plenty of complaints along the way but what can we do? we sort of just have to stand by and let God's plans work themselves out.
Calliope   Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:17 pm GMT
@kappy

I have to assume you have either never been abroad, or you have learned the languages of the places you have visited. As for English being one of the hardest languages... as a non native speaker, I have to disagree. But maybe it's subjective and it's just me.
kappy   Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:03 pm GMT
i am actually in my second year of latin. and i have neverbeen out of the US and i love Texas toooo much so its hard to stay gone for more than a week.
okay so on the thought of english being hard, it is a hard language to learn but i didn't say it was the hardest.