how to train english

chrisian   Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:21 am GMT
Hi and hello,

First of all: nice forum! Very interesting to read in. But I have a question, though...

I want to learn English. I mean, I can write, read an listen to it okay, but my speaking isn't fluent as it could be and I want to change that. But how?

At the moment I'm going to school again (before, I've been interior decorator) and also have occupied an achievement course in English. But I think that isn't enough to train my speaking. The others in the course (unfortunately) doesn't use to speak English the whole time... How stupid, actually. Anyway...

I'm not in a situation were I can speak with native speakers all day. When I come to think of it... the moments in which I've been able to speak with any can be counted on one hand. : /

I even made a phone call with a record shop in Manchaster, but that was quite difficult, cos the guy spoke with an asian accent, loud music was in the background and further more it was expensive. So that was a bad idea. ;)

It would be wonderful, if you have any advices how to train English pronunciation with real people.

I hope there aren't too many mistakes in the text.

Greets from Germany,
Christian
christian   Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:45 pm GMT
nobody? : /
Sander   Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:11 pm GMT
My advise, watch a lot of movies in English (so not the dubbed version in german) with subtitles.Really it works :-)
Learner   Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:43 pm GMT
hi,

As your writting, reading and listening are good, you can read your books or newspapers in out loud voice in order to practice your speaking. You are advanced. Congratulation

Don't give up. practice, practice and practice.

bye
christian   Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:01 am GMT
Hi,

Actually, I am watching movies, series, talkshows (Conan O'Brien is the coolest.. *g*),... in English, but that doesn't train my pronounciation.

But the advice, to read book in loud voice, is quite good. I will try it, although that doesn't really train to find the right words in a discussion, cos they are written is the book at least, you know? ;-) But O.K. I talked only about pronounciation before so... my fault. =)

Often I have the problem, that the words doesn't come into my mind as they should do, so that I have to think a few seconds about a sentence when I have to explain a more difficult thing.
In addition to that, I think I need training in slang or every-day speaking. It's necessary when you have to talk with s.o. in a fluent way, isnt it? *ask*

Thx 4 replying!
Boy   Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:25 pm GMT
Buy a portable voice recorder. Talk anything from you personal life to broader issues and record them. Listen to them over and over again and pick up your possible mistakes in your pronunciation of words, subject-verb agreement, prepositions usage ...etc

I'm applying this method and it is working fine. On top of that you don't feel lonely when you can hear your voice back. It is also a better idea to pick one particular accent to imitate. Let's say, Either British or American. Then keep watching shows and listening music in that particular accent. For instance, I'm interested in imitating an American accent so I watch American movies or shows and notice how they pronounce words.

Remeber one thing: Don't expect results be produced overnight everything takes some time and I'm sure that with some practice your speaking power will move to the next level.
safina   Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:03 am GMT
i learn english
plz help me
plz help me
christian   Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:50 pm GMT
Hmkay. I'll try to record my pronounciation at home, but whether I buy a portable voice recorder... I don't know actually. ;)

Nevertheless that also doesn't train a real conversation with a person where you have to put many many sentences and words together in a short time and reasonable way, doesn't it? Thats very difficult for me...

to: safina:
Ähem.. What dear did you want? ;)
Boy   Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:46 pm GMT
<<Nevertheless that also doesn't train a real conversation with a person where you have to put many many sentences and words together in a short time and reasonable way, doesn't it? Thats very difficult for me>>

if that method doesnt cut for you then i have one more bumper solution. What about getting married with an American/Australian/British/Kiwi chick? ;)
Deborah   Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:28 pm GMT
Christian, I don't know how many native speakers there are in your area, but have you tried advertising to find a native speaker who would be willing to practice conversation with you on a regular basis? You might find someone who would like to do a language exchange. Or who knows -- you might actually find someone who would simply like to volunteer, even without an exchange. Years ago, here in San Francisco, I volunteered to be an English tutor for non-native speakers.
Candy   Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:31 pm GMT
Christian, what part of Germany are you in? I'm an English teacher, native speaker from Britain, living in Düsseldorf! ;)
Steve K   Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:42 pm GMT
Candy,

Send me an email at steve@thelinguist.com. I have a question I would like to ask you.
christian   Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:28 pm GMT
to: Boy: I think gettin' married probably isn't the best solution for this problem. *g*

to: Deborah: Advertising? Hm... Okay, that could be a last option. But I'm shy, you know... =) I think at least I'll ask everyone I know, if anyone knows a native speaker...

to: Candy: I live in Paderborn. ;)
Marilyn   Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:22 pm GMT
I would recommend listening to Internet radio, if possible. Just make sure to have a good set of speakers or headphones, to get the best quality sound.
Uriel   Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:50 pm GMT
Yeah, I don't know that marriage is the solution .. my boyfriend is fluent in Spanish, but he doesn't teach me ANY of it!