English pronunciation-the position of the tongue

Travis   Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:36 am GMT
>>It's not difficult for British people to pronounce - but saying f instead of th is a feature of certain British accents. They can say it correctly when they want to!
I've never heard a British person saying 'I tink', although a lot of Irish people pronounce th as somewhere between t and th.<<

The sound you are describing Irish people as using is [t_d] (no, not aspirated), which I will myself use for word-initial /T/ at times, especially in the cluster /Tr/ but sometimes for word-initial /T/ by itself as well. On another note, on occasions I will hear non-AAVE speakers here (who clearly are from this area, if Kenosha counts as "this area" in the case of my mom) use /f/ for /T/, even though such is more common for AAVE speakers here.
Zador   Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:04 am GMT
and where do you english people put your tounge when you pronounce 'L' and 'R' in the word 'holborn', 'L' in 'salmon' or all the 'R'-s at the and of the words? Don't tell me you just leave them out, if i do that it's not even close to what you sound.

thank you.
Sammin   Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:11 am GMT
>> and where do you english people put your tounge when you pronounce 'L' and 'R' in the word 'holborn', 'L' in 'salmon' or all the 'R'-s at the and of the words? Don't tell me you just leave them out, if i do that it's not even close to what you sound. <<

I leave out the "l" in salmon. It is simply [s{m@n].
Zador   Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:37 pm GMT
Liz! You are my last hope! i have just listened to your voice sample and it seems to me you achieved the impossible; the pronunciation of "R" with a british-english accent. I am asking your advice as a fellow Hungarian, so you now what's natural for me and how exactly my, for example, "böööd" (bird) sounds. Where do you put your tongue?
Liz   Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:22 pm GMT
Zador,
in most British dialects (more precisely, in non-rhotic dialects) R-s are not pronounced in certain positions, i.e. when the R is followed by another consonant or by a pause (word final postion). The vowel in "bird" is a half-open, central, unrounded, usually long vowel, and occurs typically in stressed syllables.

This vowel doesn't exist in Hungarian, however, there is a similar one: if you are hesitating or looking for another word, you probably use this sound (öööö or something like that). This is basically the same as the English "er". "Ö/Ő" sounds are the nearest substitute for the "bird"-sound (sorry, I don't have an IPA font installed), but "ö/ő" are lip-rounded, as opposed to their English counterpart.

So, try to produce a hesitating "öööö" sound without lip-rounding. (Most people pronounce this hesitating sound - at least to Hungarian ears - somewhat lazily, without lip-rounding. I know it's quite hard to do consciously, but it works.

Jó éjszakát! :-))
Emma   Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:54 pm GMT
How do you position your tongue to pronounce the English-American S?
jane   Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:24 am GMT
hi to all im taking the subject speech and oral communication hehehe...