Pronouncing ''marry'' and ''Mary'' as /me@ri/ is not silly.

Ghost Town   Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:31 am GMT
''Aaron'' and ''Erin'' are different for me:

Aaron = /{r@n/

Erin = /ErIn/
Lazar   Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:22 am GMT
<<I wasn't asking if it surprised you that I distinguish ''horse'' and ''hoarse', but if it surprised you that I actually had thought for a while that the rhyme on the Mr. Ed song ''horse'' and ''course'' was just a lousy attempt at rhyming.>>

No, I think a reaction like that can be expected when somebody has never heard of a certain phonemic merger before. I think that my reaction to the flea and tick medication commercial, for example, was similar.
Davis   Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:52 am GMT
British ''marry'' and ''Mary'' sound mahry [mari] to my ears. but merry is [meri].
JHJ   Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:24 pm GMT
<<British ''marry'' and ''Mary'' sound mahry [mari] to my ears. but merry is [meri].>>

I don't know of anywhere in Britain where "marry" and "Mary" are the same, though there may be somewhere.

In my accent "marry" is [marI] and "merry" is [mErI]. "Mary" is somewhere in between (but closer to "merry") and has a considerably longer vowel.
Lazar   Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:39 pm GMT
<<I don't know of anywhere in Britain where "marry" and "Mary" are the same, though there may be somewhere.>>

No, I've never heard of the Mary-merry-marry merger occurring (even partially) in Britain.

<<In my accent "marry" is [marI] and "merry" is [mErI]. "Mary" is somewhere in between (but closer to "merry") and has a considerably longer vowel.>>

The conventional British transcription for "Mary" is [mE@rI].
miller   Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:53 am GMT
I was made fun of because i pronounce mail and male the same. what accents make a fine distinction between the 2???
Travis   Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:24 am GMT
As for "mail" and "male", I myself don't know of any North American English dialects which distinguish the two at all.
Larry   Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:30 am GMT
<<I was made fun of because i pronounce mail and male the same. what accents make a fine distinction between the 2???>>

<<As for "mail" and "male", I myself don't know of any North American English dialects which distinguish the two at all.>>

I pronounce ''mail'' and ''male'' differently, but I'm not from North America.
Geoff_One   Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:56 am GMT
There is also "coat of mail".
Uriel   Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:59 am GMT
Mail and male are the same for me, too -- even the coat of mail.
Lazar   Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:36 am GMT
<<I pronounce ''mail'' and ''male'' differently, but I'm not from North America.>>

Is that you, Don/Space Flight?
Rick   Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:46 am GMT
I'm an American from a region of the United States in which all three of ''Mary'', ''marry'' and ''merry'' are pronounced differently.
Larry   Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:03 am GMT
No, I'm not Don/Space Flight. Why do you ask?
Larry   Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:05 am GMT
<<I was made fun of because i pronounce mail and male the same. what accents make a fine distinction between the 2???>>

Who made fun of you? Was it one person, or a group of people?
Lazar   Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:22 am GMT
<<No, I'm not Don/Space Flight. Why do you ask?>>

Because he's had a habit of making up different personas and having conversations with himself. The most significant of his personas (Don) was somebody who made the "mail-male" distinction. It's a pretty rare distinction even in the British Isles, so I just felt a little suspicious...