please help me

U2   Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:25 am GMT
please help me to figure out the differents among the words "bear" "torlerate" "stand" “endure",thanks
Guest   Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:54 am GMT
Brennus:
thank you very much! i will take a look
Colleen   Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:07 pm GMT
They are all pretty much the exact same. You can use any one of them to all mean the same thing.
Stan   Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:48 pm GMT
<< please help me to figure out the differents among the words "bear" "torlerate" "stand" “endure",thanks >>

Have you checked your dictionary? I thought trivial questions wre against the rules.
Robin   Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:14 am GMT
tolerate, stand, endure, bear

A lot of English words mean slightly different things. Bear of course, can mean a large hairy animal, but this context it means 'to bear' as in 'to put up with'.

Even 'to bear' as in burden, ie bearer.

All these words basically mean tolerate. Tolerate is a compartively long word, with many syllables. Tol-er-ate

So, 'bear' and 'stand', words with one syllable can replace tolerate. Although 'stand' is usually used in the context of: "can't stand". 'Stand' also has more than one meaning. As in 'The Police' song "Don't Stand so close to me!".

Endure means something slightly different again. Endurance is about tolerating something physically, like a marathon.