need + noun + verb-ing

Lilly   Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:06 am GMT
"If you need those cars washing, just ask."

Is that sentence correct in some regional variations of English?
Uriel   Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:19 am GMT
No. What you're probably trying to say is, "If you need those cars WASHED, just ask."
Tommie   Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:50 am GMT
<However I think almost 99% of all English speakers woulds say "If you need those cars WASHED, just ask." >

Do the Irish and Appalachians only make up 1% of the English speaking population.
Guest   Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:21 am GMT
>>"If you need those cars washing, just ask."

Is that sentence correct in some regional variations of English?<<

Maybe. Which one is yours?

It looks like: "If those cars need washing, just ask."
Uriel   Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:03 pm GMT
<<Do the Irish and Appalachians only make up 1% of the English speaking population. >>

It doesn't matter; I don't think ANYBODY says "If you need those cars washing, just ask."
guest   Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:25 pm GMT
<<"If you need those cars washing, just ask." >>

Suggests that the cars them selves are to do a task, in this case. Washing something!
Tommie   Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:31 pm GMT
Aquatar   Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:27 pm GMT
It's quite common in my part of the UK (Southern England) to say 'If you need those cars washing'.

What about 'Do those cars need washing?' To me that is completely correct, but I have noticed that the Scots would say 'Do those cars need washed?'

That sounds odd to me.
Tiffany   Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:28 pm GMT
It also sounds quite natural to me to say "Do those cars need washing". However both "Do you need those cars washing" and "Do those cars need washed" sound odd. I'd most likely say "Do you need those cars washed?"
Deborah   Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:26 am GMT
Both "Do you need those cars washed" and "Do those cars need washing" sound fine to me. (I'm from the US.)
M56   Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:15 am GMT
This is also US English:

The Top 5 Signs Your Car Needs Washing

http://www.topfive.com/arcs/pk042699.shtml

And this is British English:

She needs her hair washing.
todosmentira   Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:45 am GMT
<I can imagine it being said occasionally in isolated places like Ireland and Appalachia. However I think almost 99% of all English speakers woulds say "If you need those cars WASHED, just ask.>

This is normal in London. So, that's at least 6 million English speakers who would use this construction (assuming 1 million Londoners haven't yet learnt English.)
todosmentira   Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:03 pm GMT
On second thoughts I would say that there is a subtle difference:

the present participle is more likely to be used if the action is subsidiary to an ongoing procedure i.e. An employee is washing a large number of cars, and asks

Do you need THIS ONE washING?
or, in the course of decorating a house:
Does this wall need sandING?

While the past participle is more likely to be used in a one-off standalone action:

I'm going to the garage to get the car washED.

or, having filled up on petrol, the garage assistant asks:

Do you need the car washED?

But the two forms would be generally interchangeable - these are just nuances of meaning.
DJ   Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:17 am GMT
I guess need + "verb"ING is ok, but not the noun + "verb"ING way