What is a Yankee?

Siciliano Gianfranco de F   Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:07 pm GMT
Uriel,

Los yankees estan los americanos de los etados unidos. Pobrecito!
Uriel   Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:27 am GMT
Oh, sugar, it's Estados Unidos, y tu eres el pobrecito when it comes to spelling ... y no soy hombre, cabron.
Siciliano Gianfranco de F   Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:53 am GMT
eres una puta
Uriel   Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:55 am GMT
;) Silly rabbit.
Franklyn   Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:20 pm GMT
So many gueses to the word "Pome". Another variant being, that when convicts where transported to work in Australia it was considered "freedom" Put it this way; some of these people were faced with the noose, or, to be transported to Australia and put to work. Looking at it that way they had been set free compared to being hung or incarcerated. In which case they considered themeselves prisoners to mother england.

The other direvitage I've found is where those prisoners that had acclimatised to the hot climate (over a good few years) referred to their jailors that had just arrived as "Pome's." In the sarcastic sense of the word it was considered, by the prisoners, that their jailors were just as much prisoners as they were. They faced the dramatic change in conditions on first arriving and found it hard to cope. It which case it's suggested that the word would apply to both "pomegranate" as in redness cause by the sun) and "pome" (as in prisoners of mother england.) In other words, the jailors were just as much prisoners as they were, in a loose sense of course, because many didn't want to even be there.

What isn't looked at here is how it is very feasible to make the word "pome" derive from the word "pome-granate." In chich case why is "pommie" so easily accepted as a derivative to enforce the case of "pome" in reference to the English people and not those deported to Australia?

FranklyN
FranklyN   Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:34 pm GMT
One thing I did miss out.

I've also seen it written that when prisoners were eventually freed from incarceration and Australia liberated, that the prisoners and descendants considered the people of England to be prisoners to England itself. In short ... the descendants of those incarcerated considered themselves to be "free of England." Given that, then it was considered the people of England were therefore prisoners to England's shores.

The "new" Australian people therefore considered themselves free in a role reversal of what was the original situation there. With that came something of national pride to which to hold on to ... as every country in the world does.

FranklyN
JJM   Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:37 pm GMT
My understanding is that no Southerner in the US would consider themselves a Yankee. While the term is used by foreigners to describe all Americans, internally it tends to refer to Northerners.
Adam   Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:51 pm GMT
Scotsmen - Jocks

Frenchman - Frogs

Germans - Krauts

Americans - Yanks

Welshman - Taffs

Irishmen - Paddies
Uriel   Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:54 pm GMT
<<My understanding is that no Southerner in the US would consider themselves a Yankee. >>

Oh, God no! Them's fightin' words!
Travis   Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:20 pm GMT
>>My understanding is that no Southerner in the US would consider themselves a Yankee. While the term is used by foreigners to describe all Americans, internally it tends to refer to Northerners.<<

You mean *Northeasterners*, I presume, as the term "Yankee" most definitely does not apply to all Northerners (which include people from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest) at all.
Uriel   Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:57 am GMT
True. As a resident of the southwest, I am neither a southerner nor a Yankee.
JJM   Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:50 am GMT
"You mean *Northeasterners*, I presume, as the term 'Yankee' most definitely does not apply to all Northerners (which include people from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest) at all."

Yes, I suppose in Southern eyes I meant those people who won the Civil War!
Guest   Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:51 am GMT
Is a Yankee like a Wankee? Those chocalate bars covered with nuts and little crunchy balls with a white chocalate center?
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:48 pm GMT
I must state that I get elated over chocalate, mate....I think it's grate but you have to modarate it's intake if you don't want to inflate, even if your your appetite for chocalate is insatiate.
Uriel   Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:46 pm GMT
<<Is a Yankee like a Wankee? Those chocalate bars covered with nuts and little crunchy balls with a white chocalate center? >>

Yes! We are generally nutty on the outside, but soft and sweet in the middle. Only a few of us are genuinely crunchy, though; they tend to live on the West Coast. But the tendency is spreading. ;)

["crunchy" = eco-friendly]